One Tough Elk

EricL

Thought some of you might find this interesting. One of my friends shot a bull on opening morning of first season this year and when he skinned it he found a muzzle loader bullet under its hide! He showed it to me and this thing was/is mushroomed almost perfectly out to close to 1'' in diameter! We really wish we knew what happened, if the hunter hit a tree, or another animal in front of him, or what! He also said that he didn't notice it limping or acting weird in any way. It was a good reminder to me to be sure of my shot and what is behind it! (Or in front of it for that matter!)

Shot a nice 6 point bull a few years ago. After all was done, had a backstrap out on the table cutting for freezing and found a broadhead in it. Almost cut myself on the dang thing. Checked the hide. It had healed over. Been in there for at least a year I guess. The bull had broken the carbon shaft and the rest just healed over.

I used to cut a lot of elk, and it's amazing how many pack old wounds, I used to see a number of broken and blown up shoulders a year that had healed, seen a lot of the tops of the vertebra blown of also due to shooting high on a shoulder shot. An elk can sustain some damage and heal up, found broken of horns, sticks, a few dozen broadheads a year mostly lodged in the shoulder or pelvis.

One of my bulls had a broken nose that had healed, and an old partially healed hole in the roof of its mouth where it appeared the tine of another bull had punctured it. He was an old bull - probably 9 years or more - a real warrior.

A few years back my grandpa had killed an old cow, and when butchering her out, they found 8shot in her hinds and .22 bullets near there, first thought is how crazy people are for trying to take down an elk with either on those rounds, and then, second thought is wow, these animals are as resilient as they can get

Each time I share of an elk I shot that was hit well multiple times and did not drop dead immediately at the first shot, and people act like I must have screwed up, I think "you don't have much experience hunting elk".

They are tough animals which deserve respect. Prepare to make good shots, and keep shooting until they are DOWN.

I crumpled a bull with a double shoulder last week, bones busted up on both. Walked up to him rocking a bit but couldn't get up, two fast rounds at neck to make sure he did not stand! Got up to him blinking still, final round at a base of the skull finished things. They are tough, you shoot till dead as needed and do not let them run wounded!

Seem some similar things. Friend of mine shot a nice bull a few years ago and while boning it out we found a mushroomed 270 slug in the back leg. It was surrounded by scar tissue and all healed so must have been from a year or two prior. Bull aged at 7 years. This year I shot a nice 6x6 bull. While quartering the bull found an arrow shaft and broadhead in the upper shoulder. The area around the arrow was infected but the bull appeared otherwise healthy. Who knows if he would made it long term. It was from the same year and archery season had ended 2 weeks prior. Pics of the bull attached including removing the arrow!

Attachments

• Elk Arrow.jpg
    Elk Arrow.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2015 Elk.jpg
    2015 Elk.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 108
Seem some similar things. Friend of mine shot a nice bull a few years ago and while boning it out we found a mushroomed 270 slug in the back leg. It was surrounded by scar tissue and all healed so must have been from a year or two prior. Bull aged at 7 years. This year I shot a nice 6x6 bull. While quartering the bull found an arrow shaft and broadhead in the upper shoulder. The area around the arrow was infected but the bull appeared otherwise healthy. Who knows if he would made it long term. It was from the same year and archery season had ended 2 weeks prior. Pics of the bull attached including removing the arrow!
nice bull !:D

That's sad...I feel like those of you who found old wounds is a direct reflection of past hunters who didn't uphold their duty as a sportsman. There's some real respect for elk, and animals in general. Those of you who posted pics, good shooting, and nice elk!

All the above encounters just reinforce the old adage "bring enough gun", preferably something that begins with a "3". Gives a little extra margin of error. Just my opinion.

This year I was bow hunting and shot a rag horn, the bull did the whitetail duck and the arrow hit high and back with a complete pass though. After 12 hours I tracked him to his bed where we ran off. We gave him 5 more hours and all we found was running tracks. 3 weeks later I was glassing and found him with a small group of cows like nothing had happened. Later in the season i killed a 6x6 and found a broadhead in the shoulder. I'd agree they're tough.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.