One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

Pretty interesting and varied responses. While I see a few cartridges and bullets that I honestly question as to their ability to "stop" an "up close and personal" all out attack by a big bear. But, to each his own! :eek:

Also, a few took it upon themselves to alter the parameters of the criteria! :confused:

But, overall....most have pretty good reading skills and comprehension! :D

I do appreciate all that responded, as this may require many of us to step out of our "comfort zone" by attempting to meet "all" of the assigned criteria. There likely isn't a single cartridge that perfectly meets all of the criteria.....so, attempting to choose the best compromise was the goal of this exercise! Something to do while many of us are in self-quarantine, or under mandatory lock-down! Thirty-eight years ago, I chose a very good "all around" cartridge. Then thirty-one years ago modified the rifle and cartridge, making it the near perfect "do it all" cartridge, rifle combo......not only for NA but for the World. Thanks again for playing along! :) memtb
So...what are you shooting?

Yeah I got one this year for a rebuild I did on my odd 6. Haven't got to shoot it yet but I cant wait to see the results. Looking forward to the zero stop feature and the FFP.
It is a great scope for the $$.

I had one, although SFP version, on my .308 gas gun and loved it.

My buddy is moving it over to a .257 Weatherby I just picked up. I won't get see it in person or even shoot it until December. Can't wait to get back to the US!

To OP
300 WINMAG is going to my choice. Plethora of bullet choices and you can get it just about anywhere. Will also kill anything that walks the earth with correct shot placement.

A good fitting AR10 chambered in 308 with a 3-12 scope of your choice . A single point sling set up with bi pod and some extra 5 round mags . You can buy a lot of different factory loaded ammo for all kinds of hunting applications . When they are built right they can be quite accurate and with spare mags on hand you will have the fire power you need if you can do your part and stay calm . As with this COVID-19 epidemic, panic is your enemy with unexpected encounters .

Great choice! I built one prior to my transfer to Italy (speaking of COVID19..) using quality parts and a Wilson Combat 18" match fluted barrel and threw a PST Gen II on it.

Gun shoots just under an inch with 150gn SSTs or 150 Speer Gold Dots. Hitting things out to 500 yards is like cheating with the can (Saker) on it. It is not super lightweight, but I didn't build to be. It is manageable and I took it on a 3 day coyote hunt in Idaho with a lot of walking and it wasn't too bad.

"If you can't get it done with a 30-06, you're doing something wrong."

Our grand-dads killed everything that walks with it. Find yourself a nice Model 70 or FN commercial Mauser, put a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on it and you're all set.

Mrs JOC killed a Brown Bear with one and I've shot Woodchucks with one.

Nice one asking $700, all up w/scope +- $1100 and handsome as well.

"If you can't get it done with a 30-06, you're doing something wrong."

Our grand-dads killed everything that walks with it. Find yourself a nice Model 70 or FN commercial Mauser, put a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on it and you're all set.

Mrs JOC killed a Brown Bear with one and I've shot Woodchucks with one.

Nice one asking $700, all up w/scope +- $1100 and handsome as well.

No plastic stock, no $3000 scope? You couldn't kill a rabbit with that 😂 Seriously, beautiful rifles.

Yes you could . You grab it by the barrel and throw it side ways letting it spin like a helicopter . Just pushing your buttons . I like my 30-06 real well it was new in 1976 Winchester model 70 Ranch with a wooden stock . As was common with that model the stock split a long the bottom from the pistol grip to the fore arm It now has a plastic stock but still has the Red field Wide Field steel tubed scope on it

300 win mag, Berger, copper, partition depending on the game and
terrain.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Right outta the gate.

Will add if "dangerous" is expected, I'd have controlled round feed too. You want a rifle that can cycle reliably in a critical situation; a long action belted magnum in a control feed will do that. Make it weigh what you want.

Sorry, didn't read the 24 pages. My bad.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses, and do see a bit of a trend developing. I have my own perceptions, and have acted accordingly, just wanted to see how others felt! Keep 'em coming! memtb

Sooooo.... what did you do? After 24 pages, it would be respectful provide the details. Don't ya THINK?

It's in there somewhere.... page #22! I didn't want to "skew" the results by posting the "perfect" combo's 😁 too early in the thread! Page #22 gives pictures and details of my and my wife's hunting rifles. Mine was built (started) in '89, my wife's was bought in '94. Our "only" hunting rifles.....they've been "do it all" for us, for over 25 years! memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.