LRH - single "do it all" rifle or 2 gun battery?

What's the situation? Are you talking just generally normal life, or a survival situation? For me since I reload, any rifle I pull out of my safe is a good candidate. If I couldn't achieve sub MOA accuracy from a rifle, it was traded in on something different. For years my old 30-06 REM model 700 was my go to rifle. The last decade I have found a love of my .270win SIG SHR970. From a survival standpoint I think you need some kind of semi-auto in a caliber that is really easy to come by. If I had to go into survival mode, I'd go back to my 30-06 because it has iron sights. If something goes bad with the Leupold mounted on it I can pull the scope off and still hit what I'm shooting at. 30-06 ammo is available all over the place. I would also keep a Ruger 10/22 close at hand. with a 4x scope. These Rugers are tough and reliable. Again it has iron sights that I can revert to if the mounted scope goes south. And .22 ammo is everywhere, and a lot of it will fit into a small space. Just my 2 cents.

What's the situation? Are you talking just generally normal life, or a survival situation? For me since I reload, any rifle I pull out of my safe is a good candidate. If I couldn't achieve sub MOA accuracy from a rifle, it was traded in on something different. For years my old 30-06 REM model 700 was my go to rifle. The last decade I have found a love of my .270win SIG SHR970. From a survival standpoint I think you need some kind of semi-auto in a caliber that is really easy to come by. If I had to go into survival mode, I'd go back to my 30-06 because it has iron sights. If something goes bad with the Leupold mounted on it I can pull the scope off and still hit what I'm shooting at. 30-06 ammo is available all over the place. I would also keep a Ruger 10/22 close at hand. with a 4x scope. These Rugers are tough and reliable. Again it has iron sights that I can revert to if the mounted scope goes south. And .22 ammo is everywhere, and a lot of it will fit into a small space. Just my 2 cents.
The primary purpose of this rifle is western medium to large game hunting. It will also fill a role as a range gun for banging steel around and will likely see some coyote action as well. Really at the end of the day it will fill multiple roles which is why I went with the Terminus Zeus action ... with a simple inch pound wrench I can do barrel swaps in minutes and reconfigure its XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium chassis quickly as well if needed.

As for survival I have multiple semi-autos that could fill various roles in that scenario, and I completely agree the Ruger 10/22 is a solid rifle to have on hand in such a scenario, that and a 12 gauge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.