Once in a Lifetime

nitrousmudbogger

Ive been hunting the area for about 8yrs for mule deer. I have been applying for elk there even longer. I started out on opening day and arrived at my hunting spot a few hours before dark. I drove around and spotted a few spots I thought may be good areas to start looking I day break. On Sunday morning I got up nice and early and proceeded to the first spot. On the way there I noticed something below me from the road. I backed the truck up and got out the bino's and saw a nice 5pt bull about 400yds below me feeding in the timber. I looked him over and took a couple of shots (with the camera, lol) through the spotting scope. I knew this was going to be the year for me. Not 30min into my hunting season and already seeing bulls. Another day of seeing ok bulls but nothing too big kept me very excited.
SS851250.jpg

I got up on Monday morning and thought I would go back to the spot where I had seen some bulls the night before. For some reason I decided not to and went in the opposite direction and headed to a spot where I had shot a nice muley a few years prior. I stopped and hiked out to the edge of a few fingers and glassed but didnt see any sign. I went back to the truck and kept driving. I came to a spot near the end of the road where you could see for miles. I glassed down into a clearing about a mile and a half away to see some cow elk. I looked them over and out of no where there he was. I knew this was a bull I needed to get a closer look at. I moved the truck off of the road, grabbed my gun and started running. I dropped off the back side of the hill as to not be seen and ran as fast as I could. It was 9:30 in the morning and I knew the elk were on there way to bed in the deep timber directly behind them. In about 20 minutes I popped over my ridge and saw the last of the elk and my bull just walk into a drainage and some trees I couldnt see into. I decided to get a little closer and sit to see what happened. I watched for what seemed to be an eternity. All of a sudden a lone cow came out of the top of the drainage and trees and came out on top of the hill across from me. Then another and another. About 20 cows came out and I was dieing of anticipation. The big bull walked though some junipers tilting his head bag and forth to clear branches. As he cleared the trees I ranged him and just knew he was what I had always been looking for. 429 yards I put him in the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. Whoooaap. He stumbled and I reloaded. They didnt have a clue where I was. The wind was gusting at 45mph from my kestral. I sent 3 more at him with the same effect and he hit the ground not 15 ft from where the first struck. I was shooting a 257 wby with berger vlds. No more than 1 shot was needed but I am a firm believer that if its still standing Im still shooting(less distance to track and they always fall down hill in a nasty hole).

He scored 364"
SS851257.jpg

SS851259.jpg

SS851268.jpg

Hint, if your by yourself and need to take a good picture. Set your camera on your backpack on top of a sage bush with the timer and run!

photo.php

Nice!! The first pic he looked OK, second one looked darn good, third pic yea buddy!!!! I've never seen a bull have the main beam come up like that, very cool looking!

Oh he is going up on the wall alright! It took me from 9:30am until 1:30pm to get him gutted and caped by my self. My biggest problem is fitting him in my small house! I only have one wall and Its going to take up all of it and I think we will have to crouch a bit to watch tv on the couch.lol

I got him in Montana. No Tell Canyon. lol He is a missouri breaks bull. Everyone that has seen him tells me its the biggest they ever seen come outta the breaks. It isnt cuz I know chuck adams and some others shoot bigger but they are all on private and he was on BLM! Makes it that much more sweeeeeeet! and once in a lifetime! I stare at pics a couple of times a week for at least 10 min ea time. Im so lucky and happy still I can hardly contain myself:D

Huntin the Breaks is on my bucket list but like you said it takes awhile to draw the tag. After deer hunting it for 8 years , what kind of bucks have you seen and / or got ?

A Breaks bull on public land like that is outstanding!! I've got to show this to a buddy, he's been wussn out on hitting the Breaks during bow season, he's going to cry :D

I have got 3 nice 4pts. I usually take 1-2 weeks off to hunt there. I just love the area. I have heard roomers the wolves are moving in. I would not be surprised and the end to another nice spot to hunt.
hunting11-17-08006.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.