Odd looking bullet…what does this ring do?

Calvin45

Hi all, at the gun counter today I opened up a box of Sellier and Bellot 7mm rem mag just to see what they looked like….ive never seen such an odd looking projectile! There's this rebated ring thingy on the ogive, a sharp 90 degree drop before the ogive continues. The pictures will explain it better.

What on earth is the point of this bullet geometry? Does it somehow control expansion? Facilitate cleaner holes in a paper target like a Wadcutter? Is there some terminal performance benefit? I imagine it must do bad things to an already bad bc on your basic soft point flat base design but I'm very intrigued. What can the fine folks of LRH tell me about this? It's not a fluke or a misformed bullet, they all look like that.

Attachments

• IMG_8682.jpeg
    IMG_8682.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_8681.jpeg
    IMG_8681.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_8683.jpeg
    IMG_8683.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 455
Hi all, at the gun counter today I opened up a box of Sellier and Bellot 7mm rem mag just to see what they looked like….ive never seen such an odd looking projectile! There's this rebated ring thingy on the ogive, a sharp 90 degree drop before the ogive continues. The pictures will explain it better.

What on earth is the point of this bullet geometry? Does it somehow control expansion? Facilitate cleaner holes in a paper target like a Wadcutter? Is there some terminal performance benefit? I imagine it must do bad things to an already bad bc on your basic soft point flat base design but I'm very intrigued. What can the fine folks of LRH tell me about this? It's not a fluke or a misformed bullet, they all look like that.
I bought some of the exact same ammo , never could get a good answer to that question , I'm all ears .....

IMG_1982.png

I used to buy these in 7x57 years ago before I learned to handload and before ppu was imported. They were one of the most accurate bullets in the old Spanish Mauser with a rotted out throat. I think dad shot a doe with them, can't remember. He commandeered the rifle (I only paid $70 for it) and carried it on the ranch he managed. At some point he got mud in the barrel, didn't clean it, and ruined it. It's a 45 acp now😂