Odd experience whitetail hunting

that was my first thought!

He's a stud for a coues for sure. But he's darker than the coues we have around here. They're a light grey in color and more "petite" than that beast. And any coues over 100" is a stud!

May have to eat my tag this year, but I'd sure like to get on one like yours sometime this week!

Keep on it, good things will happen!!!

In all honesty, I have harvested more big game with my 7mm AM and 300 AX then anything else in my safe, that's including the 338 AM. The monster rifles are not always the best choice for big game hunting. More often then not, the middle of the road chamberings are best for all around use.

I guess I did just call a 7mm Lapua Improved and 300 Lapua Improved "MIDDLE OF THE ROAD" chamberings!!!!:D Guess only in the APS stable could that be a true statement.

I bet that 7mm AM is a barrel burner when it's turned up hot. I bet it'll reach on out there with the 180 Bergers.

I bet that 7mm AM is a barrel burner when it's turned up hot. I bet it'll reach on out there with the 180 Bergers.

When used properly and cared for properly, it will offer much longer barrel life then you would expect. You do have to take care of them though. Ballistically, really only the 338 AM will put perform it so it takes ALOT more rifle to match or exceed its ballistic performance.

When used properly and cared for properly, it will offer much longer barrel life then you would expect. You do have to take care of them though. Ballistically, really only the 338 AM will put perform it so it takes ALOT more rifle to match or exceed its ballistic performance.

That's saying something right there...

That's saying something right there...

If we ever get that mythical 195 gr Berger bullet out and it will handle the velocity that the 7mm AM will produce, it will be very hard to match it with any chambering. Even the best the 338 AM would do would be to match it with its best loads. Still no sense talking a lot about a bullet that is still just a topic of conversation but hopefully someday it will be here and the true power of the 7mm AM will come back as it was when we had the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Not that the 180 gr berger is any slouch, still, the heavier 200 gr class bullets just really make this big 7mm run extremely hard!!!

If we ever get that mythical 195 gr Berger bullet out and it will handle the velocity that the 7mm AM will produce, it will be very hard to match it with any chambering. Even the best the 338 AM would do would be to match it with its best loads. Still no sense talking a lot about a bullet that is still just a topic of conversation but hopefully someday it will be here and the true power of the 7mm AM will come back as it was when we had the 200 gr ULD RBBT.

Not that the 180 gr berger is any slouch, still, the heavier 200 gr class bullets just really make this big 7mm run extremely hard!!!

I agree...Long heavy-for-caliber bullets are proving to be outperforming the normal weight bullets. For example, I've been trying to talk Berger into making a .257 130gr Hybrid for those of use who shoot 1:10 twist barrels in fast hard-hitting 1/4-bores like the .257 Wby and .25-06 A.I.

That buck is much younger than you think,would have been a monster next year.:rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, totally agree. If it is not in the top 5 ever taken in the state you should give it a year or two! :D :D :D :D

Kind of like if I really started hittin' the weights and training religiously I could probably play in the NFL.

That buck is much younger than you think,would have been a monster next year.:rolleyes:

He is AT LEAST 4 years old and I would bet 5 years old judging from his teeth and skull sutures. I often find that observing the skull sutures tells as much if not more of the age then the teeth, especially if your judging a deer age in an area your not familiar with as teeth wear will vary from area to area depending on food sources. Skull sutures are pretty consistant overall. Skull sutures do not tell you much once a buck reached 4-5 years of age or more but its EASY to tell a young deer to a 4-5 year old deer just from looking at the skull sutures.

Why do you say he is a young deer? Let me guess, because he has a stubby nose and is small.... Kind of what makes this deer odd.

Next year he would have looked exactly the same, maybe a bit heavier but that's it. This deer was all that he would have ever been except for maybe a bit more mass. Been a whitetail hound for 30 years, they are my passion, believe me, I know how to age a whitetail, especially when they are on the ground but also do quite well when they are on the hoof.

He is AT LEAST 4 years old and I would bet 5 years old judging from his teeth and skull sutures. Why do you say he is a young deer? Let me guess, because he has a stubby nose and is small....

Kirby,

Unless I read it wrong, I think there was some sarcasm in there!

Can not wait until my little one can be the one behind the rifle, or handgun or bow. Unfortunately, that is not until she is 12 years old in my state. In my opinion, Montana is really messed up with some of their regulations, namely required age to start hunting. These days, by the time a youngster is 12 years old, they have started doing 20 different things every day of the week and its often to late to get them hooked on hunting or fishing. Trying to keep her interested until then, we will see what happens.

Kirby,

I know exactly what you mean. However, slow down and enjoy the precious moments with her. I truly missed those times with my sons (now 25 and 22) ... having withdrawals so I take young airmen from Malmstrom instead.

My sons did year around swimming (HS and club) and competed all over the states and western region sectionals, as well as boy scouts, order of the arrow, and venturing. Most of the time I only have a weekend (two if I'm lucky) with them to hunt.

IIRC, 2009 was my last hunt with both my boys together in Lane Ranch BMA in Cascade ...

DSC00549.jpg

(Notice the enthusiasm, that was bitterly cold AM ... -15F with WC :cool:)

BTW, excellent harvest and story ... congrats!

Cheers!

Ed

Kirby,

I know exactly what you mean. However, slow down and enjoy the precious moments with her. I truly missed those times with my sons (now 25 and 22) ... having withdrawals so I take young airmen from Malmstrom instead.

My sons did year around swimming (HS and club) and competed all over the states and western region sectionals, as well as boy scouts, order of the arrow, and venturing. Most of the time I only have a weekend (two if I'm lucky) with them to hunt.

IIRC, 2009 was my last hunt with both my boys together in Lane Ranch BMA in Cascade ...

DSC00549.jpg

(Notice the enthusiasm, that was bitterly cold AM ... -15F with WC :cool:)

BTW, excellent harvest and story ... congrats!

Cheers!

Ed

I have to say, they look THRILLED!!! To be honest though, I look the same way in the morning and I actually want to be there. Just have a hard time actually appearing to be awake until around 10:00 am!!!:D

I have to say, they look THRILLED!!! To be honest though, I look the same way in the morning and I actually want to be there. Just have a hard time actually appearing to be awake until around 10:00 am!!!:D

L:DL! Both my boys, esp. my oldest, can sleep anywhere in any condition. Because of that I started keeping them within smacking distance. The good thing is that they can wake up and function from dead sleep in no time.

I remember one time while antelope hunting, I tapped my oldest's shoulder to wake him up, pointed at the antelope doe, in a matter of 30 seconds or so, he downed it at 150 yards and we're home by noon. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.