Hunting Experience with 22 Creedmoor

@Bang4theBuck .

"Something newer, kind of flashy".
Why???
Just because it's newer and flashy doesn't mean that it works any better.
How about asking your friend what cartridge he is missing or he finds really works for him and build that?

Sorry, but if I was going to do my first build, and had a cartridge already in mind, and my friend tried to talk me into another cartridge, I'd politely tell him to pound sand.

Ok, maybe not so politely..

If he builds it around the cartridge you want, while it may work, he'll always be disappointed in it because it wasn't the cartridge he wanted.

I just don't see where it's that better of a cartridge compared to the 22-250 or 220 Swift.

22 creed made quick work of the wife's buck with an 88 eldm we go back out later this week would 100 percent use with confidence love it

My new build was completed a few week ago. I've been testing with Berger 80.5FB and 85.5 Hy-Tgt bullets. Both shoot well with a variety of powders, but one load just stands out. The 80.5 and 39gr of RE17 in Alpha SRP brass will shoot consistently into 1.5"-1.75" at 400yds. The RE 17 is producing tight groups, good velocity (3,300+fps) and single digit SDs.

I only have a partial can left of RE17 and it isn't what I'd like to settle on.

What are the favorite loads that you guys have developed? What kind of groups are you seeing at distance?

That is smokin!!! I ran that same bullet at 3475 but I'm a 26 inch barrel.
Correct. validated to 1200

3rd firing Alpha SRP brass

H4350 is the king in this round

I have shot a lot of rounds out 22 Creed's, burnt up several barrels when the only way to shoot it was brass made from 6.5 creed brass.

Don't waste your time with Hornady garbage brass, when compared to Lapua 6 creed SRP formed brass or alpha SRP brass

Shot lots of bullets from 60gr TMK to 90 gr Bergers and for me the speed and accuracy day to day with The 80.5 FB is a perfect fit for this case

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the 22 creedmoor, and actually have one that I built and enjoy shooting. However, I have a friend that is pretty much a 'heavy magnum kind of guy'. I am helping him make a decision on his next rifle, and he has never built a rifle before. I am wanting him to consider something newer, kind of flashy, and has good terminal performance on whitetail deer sized animals. He already has all of the traditional cartridges, so I am only seeking terminal feedback on the 22 CM. Thanks in advance, pictures welcome.
He will be smiling from ear to ear after shooting it and not regret his decision and your advice

@Bang4theBuck .

Why???
How about asking your friend what cartridge he is missing or he finds really works for him and build that?

Sorry, but if I was going to do my first build, and had a cartridge already in mind, and my friend tried to talk me into another cartridge, I'd politely tell him to pound sand.

If he builds it around the cartridge you want, while it may work, he'll always be disappointed in it because it wasn't the cartridge he wanted.

I just don't see where it's that better of a cartridge compared to the 22-250 or 220 Swift.
I have 22/250's and a Swift. Where the 22 Creed is better is the available brass and the barrels on Swifts and most 250's are 14 twist (Tikka has an 8 TW).

@Bang4theBuck .

Why???

While the 250 and swift were and still are great rounds .. I've killed a lot of coyotes back in the day with them

The 22 creed wins because of the superior available brass, modern case design and and the availability to shoot Small rifle primers

The 22-250 in the same barrel length wont touch the 22 creed with all build parameters being equal

the 220 swift, while being a lighting rod .. just doesn't have the quality brass for superb performance

Mine eats 68 HHT hammers at 3,550 fps and nothing yet has made it further than their tracks. Boocoo's of hogs, a few deer, lots of totes. All are pass throughs. Large holes. Som of the yotes it pretty much takes their back side rib cage off. It's a favorite of mine for sure now.