Not sure I’m buying into the hype

I finally got my first one about a year and a half ago and wished I had done it many years ago, I might not have to wear hearing aids and they cost a bunch more than the cans do

I was pretty much in the old school camp, most of my rifles were wood stocked Win 70s, had a bit of a collection, thought suppressors ruined the look of a nice rifle. Since then, lots of things have changed in the rifle world, better actions, barrels and stocks. Most of my rifles today are carbon barreled with McMillan stocks (I like Manners too but much harder to get). I have one suppressed rifle and I plan on more in the near future. Mine is on a 20" Proof carbon barrel in 308 which I consider about perfect. The suppressor makes shooting more pleasant, doesn't alert game nearly as much and makes it easier to stay in the scope during recoil to see impact on target (shot a nice buck this year with it, my first suppressed, and I could see the impact of the hit). They are not for everyone but I really like them and don't see me hunting without one in the future. I will say that most dedicated target and competition shooters use brakes instead of suppressor as recoil mitigation is most important for seeing impact and recoil fatigue, also, wearing quality ear protection is not a problem for non-hunting shooting.

I own my share of suppressor and they have their place but I feel they are over rated. They can be a real pain in the ***.

They heat up quickly. They change your point of impact. When it comes to direct thread, depending on the torque when installing after cleaning a rifle, they can change your point of impact. They carbon the heck out of a barrel and chamber. They make even a 22" barrel rifle long.

But it sure is nice when everyone on the line is shooting suppressed. They are great for hunting. I run Silencer CO's and my long range rifles are superbly accurate with them. It may be just me but I always find a load that rocks quicker when my rifles are suppressed.

There's definitely a give and take.

It's been one of the best waits and purchases I've made! I bought a Hybrid 46 so very versatile caliber range and we use it from 223/5.56 up through my 300wsm. It has allowed us (my daughter and I) to double up on deer on multiple occasions. We still wear hearing protection when shooting but shooting 180's out of that rifle it's really not needed. But it takes the rifle down quite a bit for her and allows her to refocus quickly after a shot. They are not for everyone or every situation for sure. It just works for us