Not sure I’m buying into the hype

I have 5 suppressors and have enjoyed using every one of them. I don't consider the $200 tax as that kind of money can be spent just going to a ball game… The cost of the suppressor varies but again, it is about like the cost of a moderate priced gun. What I can't understand is why the process takes so long… Now, with the e-file system I hear processing is much quicker but only time will tell. Just pony up for one and you will likely want another…

We all allocate our resources based on our values. Resources and values can and do change over time. A suppressor may not be a priority for you now. Perhaps farther down the line.

Excellent point - I've known several folks that have used them. Some love them, some think they're ok. Suggest you try one and see if you like. Maybe its worth it to you, maybe not - your call.

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb
I'll put it this way, if I was young and still had good hearing I would invest in one. Today even with my terrible tinnitus I'd consider it as a luxury item. For young people it would help protect their ears in the case of an accidental firing without wearing some kind of hearing protection. Same as today in my later years. The big difference is with my hearing damage I'm pretty diligent about wearing my hearing protection, so the chances of further damage is far less. Pain is a motivator. My two cents from the peanut gallery. Oh I could careless about looking "tactical". To me the raised nail gets hammered.

They are most definitely worth every penny. I have a Surefire SOCOM 300 SPS and 6.5 Ti. I have used the 300 SPS on a 10.5" 300 BLK SBR, 24" 6.5CM and 18" CM. It has been ran hard and is built like a tank. The 6.5Ti is VERY light @ 11 ounces and is not noticeable on any gun. It is slightly quieter on the 6.5 stuff vs. the SPS. POI shift is minimal on every application with both of these. Buy once cry once the cost is well worth the results. It's not only just for the shooter, save your hunting/shooting buddies hearing and enjoy it for what it is. Everyone that hears my guns with the cans off and on find them extremely efficient. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Brad

Attachments

• 64929175271__CB071DEB-3679-4522-B0B9-C2FAC2D7824C.jpg
    64929175271__CB071DEB-3679-4522-B0B9-C2FAC2D7824C.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5518.JPG
    IMG_5518.JPG
    827.2 KB · Views: 18
I'm totally pro suppressed shooting. I've got 3 cans. One for my rimfire guns and 2 that covers all my center fire guns from 22-33 caliber. They screw onto muzzle brakes. Even with hearing protection, a gun with a brake can still damage your hearing. At the range especially if the bench area is covered, I'd have to wear plugs and a headset for the noise level to be comfortable. Suppressed I get the best of both worlds. The recoil reduction of a brake and the suppressed sound. If I'm shooting a lot, I still wear hearing protection to be safe. Hunting I don't as it doesn't hurt or make my ears ring and I'm not taking many shots. Also, every one of my guns have tighter groups suppressed. Teaching kids to shoot it's huge. Noise and recoil both scare them. They have no fear of my smaller caliber guns and learn to shoot well quickly without fear or flinching. I'd never go back.

Finally got mine out of jail after 12 months and a couple of weeks. Well worth the wait and $$$$.
Mine is a Griffin, I look at it like a brake that is quieter to shoot.
Majority of my rigs are 26-28" barrels, shot off of a portable shooting bench or truck hood, I am not chopping any off as the weigh 15+ pounds at least any way.
Edible critters, I may consider a chop job on those rigs in the future, though I hunt open country most of the time. Time will tell.

Finally got mine out of jail after 12 months and a couple of weeks. Well worth the wait and $$$$.
Mine is a Griffin, I look at it like a brake that is quieter to shoot.
Majority of my rigs are 26-28" barrels, shot off of a portable shooting bench or truck hood, I am not chopping any off as the weigh 15+ pounds at least any way.
Edible critters, I may consider a chop job on those rigs in the future, though I hunt open country most of the time. Time will tell.
Been shooting suppressed for 10+ years and my barrels just keep getting shorter.