Not quite long range...cow elk

That's some good shooting! I love the sitting positions at those ranges. I never put my pack on my leg. I'll give that a try.
I either put it on my thigh or under my strong elbow depending on the terrain and the pack and then squeeze the pack like I would a rear bag. My number one criteria for my pack is how it fits dimensionally for a front prone rest and as a rear stock support for sitting. I even add "pool noodles" or blow up travel pillow to fill out my bag to firm it up.

Similarly, I don't use trekking poles; I modify my standing tripod to be able to work as a trekking pole and my other "trekking pole" is a monopod for a rear stock support when standing.

Last edited:
I either put it on my thigh or under my strong elbow depending on the terrain and the pack and then squeeze the pack like I would a rear bag. My number one criteria for my pack is how it fits dimensionally for a front prone rest and as a rear stock support for sitting. I even add "pool noodles" or blow up travel pillow to fill out my bag to firm it up.

Similarly, I don't use trekking poles; I modify my standing tripod to be able to work as a trekking pole and my other "trekking pole" is a monopod for a rear stock support when standing.
That's pretty cool. I like the idea of using the pack like a rear bag and the innovative ways of firming it up.
I have been using a frame pack and resting my right (rear) armpit on it. I just used a tall Harris bipod on the front. It has been working well for me for years but now that I'm close to 70 years old my core is just not as sable as before. I've really been struggling with stability at the longer (450 +) ranges.
Thanks for sharing your techniques! I will give them a try.

That's pretty cool. I like the idea of using the pack like a rear bag and the innovative ways of firming it up.
I have been using a frame pack and resting my right (rear) armpit on it. I just used a tall Harris bipod on the front. It has been working well for me for years but now that I'm close to 70 years old my core is just not as sable as before. I've really been struggling with stability at the longer (450 +) ranges.
Thanks for sharing your techniques! I will give them a try.
It's all personal preference and what works for you. Many people I know tell me I should use a tall bipod, I just don't care for them. I try to make everything dual purpose; e.g., monopod is rear stock support for standing and a trekking pole and I keep one leg longer (the out in front leg) on the tripod longer and it serves as a second trekking pole. I keep my rain gear, spare socks, gloves, and beanie in a dry bag clipped to the outside of my pack and that is my rear bag if I can go prone.