Norma MRP Equivalent

Any idea what a good powder to start with would be since MRP is discontinued?

I'm concerned that you think MRP is discontinued. There is no industry notice of this action and the only point I can find is on the Midway USA listing. Midway uses this term 'discontinued' when they drop a product from their inventory. It is not an industry action at all.

It's close on the burn chart.

Burn Rate Charts are vaguely useful and in many situations not relevant for exacting comparisons. VVN-560 is a bit too fast for your choice of bullet/cartridge combination. One of the best powders is Re-25 which is nearly perfect insofar as a full case and higher velocity with accuracy.

Enjoy the process!

:)

I'm concerned that you think MRP is discontinued. There is no industry notice of this action and the only point I can find is on the Midway USA listing. Midway uses this term 'discontinued' when they drop a product from their inventory. It is not an industry action at all.

Burn Rate Charts are vaguely useful and in many situations not relevant for exacting comparisons. VVN-560 is a bit too fast for your choice of bullet/cartridge combination. One of the best powders is Re-25 which is nearly perfect insofar as a full case and higher velocity with accuracy.

Enjoy the process!

:)
Well since the Norma rep never corrected me saying that it was still in production kind of confirmed it I thought.
Calling around and numerous searches also gave me the same impression.

MRP is still in production, for I use it in a couple of loads.

Just in a quick search, I was able to find it on 2 websites with one at $34.99/lb

Last edited:

Just in a quick search, I was able to find it on 2 websites with one at $34.99/lb

Literally every item is in stock on that website. Even CCI Magnum Large Rifle Primers. I wouldn't trust an order through them.

I contacted Powder Valley on Nov 29.
They confirmed it was discontinued 2 years ago as were all Norma powders in the US.

If you find any on a website, consider the website a scam.

I contacted Powder Valley on Nov 29.
They confirmed it was discontinued 2 years ago as were all Norma powders in the US.

If you find any on a website, consider the website a scam.

Literally every item is in stock on that website. Even CCI Magnum Large Rifle Primers. I wouldn't trust an order through them.
The prices are 3. 4 yrs old. Scam.

Norma loads (or used to) Weatherby Factory ammo, and MRP was what they used (at one time). Maybe the powder isn't discontinued, but produced only for the Weatherby Factory ammo? When I first got into Weatherbys back in the 70's, I had a Weatherby catalogue that listed the actual loads (powder charge) used in their ammunition, and if I remember correctly all used Norma MRP powder. Unfortunately Katrina took that catalogue along with everything else in 2005. If Norma MRP was discontinued, maybe the new powder used in Wby Factory could be had by reloaders. I guess the problem would be to find out what Norma is now using to load Weatherby ammunition.

Sent them an email this morning. This was the reply.
View attachment 431886
Man, what kind of SORRY *** response is this??? :mad: From Norma or this STOOPID bot they have answering emails??? I'd try and get a manager or higher email address and forward this. There is no excuse for this business acumen, if we let it stand it will only foster!!!

Well since the Norma rep never corrected me saying that it was still in production kind of confirmed it I thought.
Here's what I got from Norma.

2127B0AB-4C09-4965-94D7-0DFE8EB601D4.jpeg

I've been using Norma Powders for a couple of decades. Unfortunately, it's been at least 3 years since I needed to replenish my stock so I haven't bothered to look. I have plenty for the time being but I'll continue my testing to be sure to have a substitute on hand before I run out. Reloder and VV will have to be my choices.

From Norma, 1/26/23 (this morning):

1674746774004.png