No more bacon for you!

Where hunting hogs is popular outfitters and those who profit from the hunts tend to release hogs to ensure hunts go well and the money keeps coming in.

There are those who would profit from hogs remaining on the landscape and those who would profit from eradication. Sometimes they are the same person.

Hunting hogs and coyotes will never eradicate them or even keep populations in check. It has been shown that hunting may increase numbers. Kill a few and fecundity may increase resulting in a net increase in population.
These hogs are ruining property. I have my own opinion on people that game the system from both ends. If I caught someone releasing hogs for profit that got on my property, let's just say we would have an issue. Just a thought; is it possible to organize hog sweaps in an area? Massacre as many as possible? Maybe it's a bad idea. Don't know.

Hogs have been a freaking nightmare long enough that there is plenty of evidence on how to try to control or eliminate them. Putting any type of restriction on getting rid of them stinks of a backdoor deal involving other motivations.
I’m sure if the state is paying the trappers they don’t want hunters going in one night and taking out 2 or 3 when that trapper could get 22-23. It’s not Texas where they are thick as mosquitoes. I’m assuming, talking to friends in KY their problem is similar to ours in NC, and you see little populations near rivers and creeks, terrain that is not going to be ideal for annihilating them by hunting. Around here you might hear of someone shooting a couple here or there and on occasion they have 20 people hunting an area and take out a dozen or so, but nothing that seriously affects the population. Then the population moves from one area to another becoming another farmer’s problem. A lot of the guys “shooting” them around here are really hunting and want the bragging rights of heaviest hog. It’s hard to really hammer their numbers in swamps and timber as opposed to vast open fields.

Hogs have been a freaking nightmare long enough that there is plenty of evidence on how to try to control or eliminate them. Putting any type of restriction on getting rid of them stinks of a backdoor deal involving other motivations.
Precisely, I heard or read that you HAVE TO kill over 70% of the population to just maintain status quo. Anyone collaborate that? If so no wonder we are losing the battle

Last edited:
I'm sure if the state is paying the trappers they don't want hunters going in one night and taking out 2 or 3 when that trapper could get 22-23. It's not Texas where they are thick as mosquitoes. I'm assuming, talking to friends in KY their problem is similar to ours in NC, and you see little populations near rivers and creeks, terrain that is not going to be ideal for annihilating them by hunting. Around here you might hear of someone shooting a couple here or there and on occasion they have 20 people hunting an area and take out a dozen or so, but nothing that seriously affects the population. Then the population moves from one area to another becoming another farmer's problem. A lot of the guys "shooting" them around here are really hunting and want the bragging rights of heaviest hog. It's hard to really hammer their numbers in swamps and timber as opposed to vast open fields.
Makes sense about the numbers compared to trappers. But is there 5 or 10 thousand traps being able to be put out and fed EVERY SINGLE DAY in KY. I bet not. So they aren't doing it either. Collaboration between the two to make it work.

Makes sense about the numbers compared to trappers. But is there 5 or 10 thousand traps being able to be put out and fed EVERY SINGLE DAY in KY. I bet not. So they aren't doing it either. Collaboration between the two to make it work.
That number of traps every day is not needed based on their population estimates of 10k high end. If they are like my neighboring state, they are in concentrated areas. I can fully see why it would be better to go in and hammer those areas hard with pen traps and keep the hunters out while doing so.

These hogs are ruining property. I have my own opinion on people that game the system from both ends. If I caught someone releasing hogs for profit that got on my property, let's just say we would have an issue. Just a thought; is it possible to organize hog sweaps in an area? Massacre as many as possible? Maybe it's a bad idea. Don't know.
sigourney weaver michael GIF

That number of traps every day is not needed based on their population estimates of 10k high end. If they are like my neighboring state, they are in concentrated areas. I can fully see why it would be better to go in and hammer those areas hard with pen traps and keep the hunters out while doing so.
I don't know, but from some hog estimates showing their dispersion throughout KY it's not localized. A lot along the whole southern border and then pockets in N KY and elsewhere. It's not localized but I don't live in KY only wish I did. But these are just maps that pop up on my Google account from F&G in KY. I still believe a multi tasked effort probably is needed

I don't know, but from some hog estimates showing their dispersion throughout KY it's not localized. A lot along the whole southern border and then pockets in N KY and elsewhere. It's not localized but I don't live in KY only wish I did. But these are just maps that pop up on my Google account from F&G in KY. I still believe a multi tasked effort probably is needed
I get what the maps show, I just looked up NC, I’m in the middle of the area but we ONLY actually see them close to the river and river bottoms. 7 miles away on our personal farms, never seen them or signs of them. We have a farm and our hog barn on the side of a swamp and have never seen them there in over 30 years either. So even though there is a swath colored in on the maps, our experience is that they are in little pockets, some areas larger than others obviously, but not dispersed like Texas hogs or deer.

I get what the maps show, I just looked up NC, I'm in the middle of the area but we ONLY actually see them close to the river and river bottoms. 7 miles away on our personal farms, never seen them or signs of them. We have a farm and our hog barn on the side of a swamp and have never seen them there in over 30 years either. So even though there is a swath colored in on the maps, our experience is that they are in little pockets, some areas larger than others obviously, but not dispersed like Texas hogs or deer.
I am basing it on nothing, no personal experience or anything just maps. They (maps) can be just speculation. Who knows.

Well I live and farm in ky. Haven't seen the first hog yet. But you can bet when I do see one out in my crops he won't be coming out of them breathing: Bet on that. They can shove that law straight up their rear.
Farms, do you know if it's just public land or even private land too.?????