Nightforce nxs or nx8 recommendation

toptom60

I just picked up a good deal on a remington 700 bdl in 300 rum off a friend and have been looking at scopes. Been looking hard at these to scopes but had some questions. I like the nxs 5-22-50 and all the great reviews but have been worried about the exposed windage turret. Feel like it would probably never move especially with hunting we do but is something I think about. Really like the nx8 4-32-50 but seeing if anyone has first hand experience with the moar 2fcd reticle for hunting. Not sure how the dots would work closer up or in brush.

I just picked up a good deal on a remington 700 bdl in 300 rum off a friend and have been looking at scopes. Been looking hard at these to scopes but had some questions. I like the nxs 5-22-50 and all the great reviews but have been worried about the exposed windage turret. Feel like it would probably never move especially with hunting we do but is something I think about. Really like the nx8 4-32-50 but seeing if anyone has first hand experience with the moar 2fcd reticle for hunting. Not sure how the dots would work closer up or in brush.
Have both. If you're worried about the turret moving, then wrap some scotch tape around it. You can still see the markings, but feel secure with no movement.

On the subject of the 4-32 and the reticle, I have no problem with it. The "dots" are appropriate enough that you will not notice any problems with size either too small or large. If there is a con for me, it is the reticle is a bit busy for the average hunting setup.

I think the 2.5-20x50 nx8 is my favorite hunting scope, and I may have gotten lucky but mine has exceptional glass
Agreed, that's a ton of scope in a small compact package, mine also has exceptional glass.

I'm trying to decide between these two scopes as well. 2.5-20 or the 3.5-15 for a 6.5 creed build for hunting and targets. I've got a SHV 5-20 on my 7 remmag that has never once let me down in the last 6 seasons.

I have the nx8 20x on a 6.5 PRC.If it was my Norma I would possible go up in power, but many times in mountains with mirage or fog, or if you want a possible quicker follow up you can't use more power

I have the nx8 20x on a 6.5 PRC.If it was my Norma I would possible go up in power, but many times in mountains with mirage or fog, or if you want a possible quicker follow up you can't use more power
That's kinda my thought with this being a 300 rum not saying I'd ever use 32 power hunting but it is a gun that has potential to stretch it.

NX8s are the only scopes I will use on my rifles and they are worth every penny. I have never had trouble in low light or dealing with any type of terrain. I have shot game at all different ranges with the closest being a whitetail at 7 yards. The dots are my favorite part about the reticle. I have 2.5-20s and 4-32s. I like a 2.5-20 for my muzzleloader but a 4-32 is a much better zoom range in my opinion. Nothing like sighting in my rifle absolutely perfect using 32 zoom and then hunting with lower power. Helps me really check out the animal before taking the shot too.

Last edited:
I have the NX8 2.5-20, the NX8 4-32, and several of the NXS 3-15s - all with the MOAR reticle. All great hunting optics! All are extremely durable and quality glass! In the NXS the turret clicks are firm enough that I don't have issues with movement. I will say that I'm going to sell my 4-32 NX8 soon because I want another 2.5-20. I didn't find a need for the increased power and I personally like the slightly larger and less busy reticle of the 2.5-20 for a hunting rifle. The low power is great for still hunting the timber while the 20x is plenty for shooting 800 yards and in (IMO). That said, I've shot elk in the 500-600 yard distance multiple times with an NXS 3-15 without a problem and the 3 power is also great for hunting in timber. I wouldn't be afraid of using either scope on a hunting rifle. NF makes great optics! Good luck on your build!

I have the NX8 2.5-20, the NX8 4-32, and several of the NXS 3-15s - all with the MOAR reticle. All great hunting optics! All are extremely durable and quality glass! In the NXS the turret clicks are firm enough that I don't have issues with movement. I will say that I'm going to sell my 4-32 NX8 soon because I want another 2.5-20. I didn't find a need for the increased power and I personally like the slightly larger and less busy reticle of the 2.5-20 for a hunting rifle. The low power is great for still hunting the timber while the 20x is plenty for shooting 800 yards and in (IMO). That said, I've shot elk in the 500-600 yard distance multiple times with an NXS 3-15 without a problem and the 3 power is also great for hunting in timber. I wouldn't be afraid of using either scope on a hunting rifle. NF makes great optics! Good luck on your build!
If that 4-32 is MOA, shoot me a pm when you are ready to sell.