NF NX8 be Leupold Mark5 HD

General RE LEE

I'm about to order my 3rd Mark 5 HD in 3.6-18. Am I missing out not ordering the NX8 2.5-20? I am a big Leupold fan for their low light hunting performance and lightweight.
Any preference between the two?

I just picked up new to me nxs 3x15
I was afraid to go nx8 But i probably will go with the nx8 down the road Reliability clear glass positive clicks

The NF you're referring to is probably my favorite NF, most negatives I've read on the 2.5x20 is the exact opposite of my experience so maybe there's a lot of duds out there. I've had mine all season running along side a Zeiss v8, a Minox zp5, a vortex razor, and an atcar up until I sold it, so it's had some stiff company to compare it to.

My main issues with the scope are the rets and illumination, the ret is to small in ffp on the low end and the ill.brightness level on the lowest setting is way to bright to hunt with during low light.

Yeah but on its lowest setting it's about 6 settings to bright, it needs more settings on the low end for any use at dusk and after hours.

IMO the Mark 5 is a better choice as a compact scope than the NX8 2.5-20. Now, if you're considering the NX8 4-32 my recommendation changes.

The 4-32 is the better choice of the NX8s. It gives you better optical performance, a more favorable magnification range, and easier mounting. For LRH I see no reason to ever consider the 2.5-20

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one. While I have had a couple of each of them, I only have one of each mounted at the moment.

The Mark 5 is probably slightly better optically to my eyes, but the NX8 isn't disappointing either. My NX8 is illuminated while my MK5 isn't, but that is just because I didn't want to spend the extra coin on it. I have used them both well after normal shooting hours for pest control around our cattle feeders and didn't see a dramatic difference in low light performance.

I shoot both. I would bet the bank roll every time on the NightForce when it comes to tracking, when dialing elevation and repeatability when dialing. I shoot both in MOA reticles. Both shoot well when holding in the reticle. Leupold has some real issues for tracking and repeatability when dialing.