New toilet paper tube

twooly

I am going to buy another scope. It will not be a vortex or leupold. There is already a closet full of leupolds here and I want to try something else. This is going on a 280 Remington. It is my favorite rifle and the one I reach for most when shooting at stuff from wood chucks to big game. The vast majority of my hunting happens at muzzle to 100 yards. However there is opportunity to shoot farther at times when hunting the farm country near home. We also do a trip or 2 west each year. The scope will also be used to shoot high power silhouettes. (40 shot match at 2,3,4,&500 meters). Room to grow into farther ranges is of interest as well.

The SHV series of nightforce is of interest, especially the second focal plane 2-10. I am struggling over standard duplex or the MOAR though. For matches the dial seems nice, for hunting a reticle seems nice.

The new Maven rs1.2 2.5-15 mil reticle is appealing as well. My concern is the reticle visibility at 2.5 in really low light conditions.

What other suggestions do shooters here have?

Last edited:
I am going to buy another scope. It will not be a vortex or leupold. There is already a closet full of leupolds here and I want to try something else. This is going on a 280 Remington. It is my favorite rifle and the one I reach for most when shooting at stuff from wood chucks to big game. The vast majority of my hunting happens at muzzle to 100 yards. However there is opportunity to shoot farther at times when hunting the farm country near home. We also do a trip or 2 west each year. The scope will also be used to shoot high power silhouettes. (40 shot match at 2,3,4,&500 meters). Room to grow into farther ranges is of interest as well.

The SHV series of nightforce is of interest, especially the second focal plane 2-10. I am struggling over standard duplex or the MOAR though. For matches the dial seems nice, for hunting a reticle seems nice.

The new Maven rs1.2 2.5-15 mil reticle is appealing as well. My concern is the reticle visibility at 2.5 in really low light conditions.

I Love my Leupold Mark5s but recently bought the Maven rs1.2 mentioned above. I Love It….as far as low light? Don't forget that it's an illuminated reticle

How about a LPVO? Get a nice NF and be happy.
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

There is so much personal preference when choosing a scope. I understand wanting to try something different. I to was in the Leupold rut for a long time. I never had one fail me, but needed more long term personal observations of other scopes. Weight has always been a consideration for me so that limits some of my options.

Like you, I have many Leupold's, mostly firedots. Good for close work and I don't dial them. I have owned many nightforce and sold all of them. Eyebox, reticle and cost were approaching no return as I got closer to what I liked.

Just put a 2.5-15x42 Trijicon Credo HX on my 300 PRC I built myself on a Defiance anti action. Simply love it so far. Zero stop is simple to set and tracks great so far. With the Nightforce and Trijicon my groups always run true. Week to week, month to month.

Once you start dialing to those ranges you will be doing it a lot and it will be second nature. Find one you like get after it. Enjoy

Buck

Agree.

I use Leupold 6 x 20 with dot reticle on my silhouette 7mm-08, but my wifes prefers the Vortex BDC reticle on her rifle. Pick your poison and let it rip. You will be hammering those rams at 500m with a 280, almost feel sorry for them, almost lol.

The Maven looks like a standard duplex at 2.5 power. I have the MIL version.