New to reloading 300wsm

joko111

Hello everybody, I'm fairly new to reloading but I have loaded for my 17 hornet, recently spun a new barrel for my custom rifle chambered in 300 wsm, I want to hunt deer, antelope, and maybe elk in the future, I usually won't shoot game past 5-600 yards and like to keep it under 500, however I will shoot steel out further. I want to use h4350 powder since I have some already, not sure what primers and bullets to go with, I have looked into the 180g accubond and it looks like a good contender for my needs but I'm looking for more experienced peoples advice! Let me know what you recommend

Primer: Whatever Magnum primer you can get.

All Accubond are great killing bullet. 180 should work great for you with H4350 in the 2850 to 2950-ish fps range. I shoot 180 Scirocco II in my SA 300 WSM and it's a bit longer than the AB so you should have no problems with mag length and seating depth. I shoot the 200 AB and 210 ABLR in my LA 300 WSM.

I would look at a 160-180 grain bullet for the game you mentioned. You will need to research what other's have posted on bullet preferences as there are many opinions between cup & core copper jacketed lead bullets and copper monos let alone all the different brands. I think the Accubond would put any of the 3 animals you mentioned down given good shot placement and it's a forgiving bullet as far as developing an accurate load.
Another good powder would be 4831SC or 4831.
Take a look at your reloading manual or look up the Hodgden website online for 300wsm/bullet grain weight/powder options data.

A search for 300wsm under the reloading forum might give you a lot of reading material on suitable loads.

Just looked at my log book for 180 Scirocco II.
At 59.5 gr RL 16 x WLRM primer = 2860 fps @ ES 8 fps. 0.066" jump.

Rifle: Introductory year (2001) 300 WSM Win M70 CRF Featherweight, blueprinted action/bolt face, sporting a new 26" Brux #3 SS.

Last edited: