New Here 308 issue

Hi all
Name is Bill and I'm new to this site
I have stumbled here while looking for info on .300 Pegasus brass
But since I'm here let me ask few questions
I have Remington 700 Tactical in 308 with M5 barrel
I have been shooting it in NJ for about 5 years and had my load developed and proven
168 Nesler HP/BT
IMR 4895 41 gr
With this load I could hold 1/2 inch group at 200yd
Recently I have escaped from New Jersey and moved to FL
While at a local range in FL my proven load did not performed as expected I could not get better group then 3-4 inches
Can air temp and density make that much difference
In NJ I had no problem to take 15 rounds in a row and hold 3, 5 round groups with in 1/2 inch
Do I need to go back to the basic and start working up a new load?

Welcome Bill. Best load for my Rem 700 / 308 is, 41.8 gr Varget, 168gr Nosler Custom Comp, Federal or Lapua brass, CCI large rifle primer, 2.810" COAL = 2550 fps / 1/2" moa. One other thing: you mentioned the gun is 5 years old. About how many rounds do you estimate have been put down the barrel? Possible,,, unlikely coincidence that,,, you could be seeing the early stages of a worn out barrel? Do you have a way of checking the throat erosion? Do you have a data point measurement for the lands, from when the gun was new until now?

I'm also in central Florida, the only place in the world where in the summer you can sweat under water. I also lived behind enemy lines in NJ and CA. I shoot a 700 with 5R twist. 168 sierra BTHP and Berger 168 VLD with R 15, IMR 4064 and IMR 4895. and all powders give me great results. I can't speak for Varget as I just managed to get a hold of some recently. So many variables to consider regarding your personal issue however it seems more then just a powder issue. Welcome to the lighting capital of America. Good Luck and be safe.

I used to live in NY and Florida has nothing on the northeast with hot temps in the summer, All summer it is 85 to 95 in upstate new york. I used to woodchuck hunt there. EXCEPT, humidity, I'll give that one to FLA. It is sweltering in FLA. Like shooting through a bucket of water when the humidity is up. Have you shot your combination in the winter when it is cooler and less humid? Also, what was your elevation in New Jersey? In California I have to adjust my sights going from 800 ft to 2500 feet. Everything comes into play.

Welcome Bill from the smallest state in the Union:rolleyes:. I get to Florida, but.....not at this time of the year. As always I start back with the basics and entirely go over the mechanics of your rifle. I know that you wrote that you did this in the OP, however sometimes we miss something, it doesn't hurt to go back and check everything. From there I would start another ladder load development with the same components, again sometimes we miss something in the process. I haven't read your entire thread, hopefully someone has resolved your problem; and....good luck with your groups.

The air density is much higher at sea-level than anywhere up the hill, its the heats effect on the powders burn rate that causes issues, not really the bullets speed through the warmer air...far less of a factor than altitude..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.