New from Kansas

Morning all,

New guy from the KC area. Have primarily haunted another forum under the same pseudonym but have perused this site over the years. Former helicopter mechanic in the army, now work in commercial real estate. Hunt every chance I can and while archery was my primary hunting style for many years, I started going west about 7 years ago. I was introduced to mule deer hunting with my in-laws and that's when the long range hobbies began. Have 3 clean ethical harvests over 500 yards (and no misses/losses at all) and have enjoyed taking my rifles out to 1000 yards whenever we can get back west and family time doesn't conflict. This was a tough year of hunting for me but I did get a Kansas elk tag and harvested a nice 6x6. I avidly reload for my 300 win mag and 7mm mag and recently picked up a 280 ackley that I'm looking forward to working up a load and dialing in the accuracy. Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Welcome! I'm from central Kansas and new to the group as well. Did you harvest your elk on Ft. Riley?
I did get my elk, a youngish 6x6. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get out there during the main part of the rut and never heard a bugle so locating them was difficult. Took me almost 2 full weeks of hunting over the course of the month of October and part of November to get it done. You really can't beat the flint hills for scenic country in KS and I saw plenty of wildlife which made the days with no elk seen much more enjoyable. It was a fantastic experience and I met a lot of really awesome people on base. It was fun walking down memory lane seeing all the equipment and soldiers, made me miss being in and at the same time was a fresh reminder of why I'm glad I'm not! There are some monster bulls out there and the terrain can fool you into hunting it the wrong way - if I didn't have a young kid at home I wouldn't have felt as guilty about being gone so much but there is some strategy involved and I could have hunted smarter. Happy to help anyone who pulls that tag. Knowing what I know now there is a lot to consider before thinking you're going to get out there and get one quickly!