NEW CUSTOM, SPEND MY MONEY!!

Which would you use?

• Total voters

hilbillyconquest

Alright guys, I am in the process of trying to decide my next build. I am only in the probably stage.

This one will probably be in 6.5 PRC to shoot 140s or 156 grain Bergers.
I am leaning to build off of a long action with integral rail and lug for options down the road. Help me decide which way to go.

I have a short list what do you think?

Action

Vesper, Vampire or ?

I really like the Vampire, with my only reserve is in stock choices. I wondered if the Vesper gives up anything to the Vampire or vice versa. The Vesper with 700-clone inlet and large tenon sure make it appealing. I currently have two rifles I load for with aftermarket actions, one is a Kelbly Nanook, and the other is a Defiance Deviant, both are excellent. To be honest I really wouldn't mind using either one of them again, but I can't help to wonder if the grass is greener... LOL
I really am just looking for a super smooth, fairly light and well-functioning action. I realize there is really not a bad choice, I was just wondering what the masses thought.

Barrel
Bartlein or Benchmark Carbon in 18–22-inch length.
What twist would you go?
Which reamer would you use?
Would you just go shouldered prefit from one of the big names with their reamer?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Zermatt action
I really like the idea of taking after the mauser and getting rid of the ejector button on the bolt face.
1-7 or 1-7.5 twist if you going to shoot 156.
6.5 prcw (Wheeler) they dont cost much more and less chance of having trouble in the future.

Alright guys, I am in the process of trying to decide my next build. I am only in the probably stage.

This one will probably be in 6.5 PRC to shoot 140s or 156 grain Bergers.
I am leaning to build off of a long action with integral rail and lug for options down the road. Help me decide which way to go.

I have a short list what do you think?

Action

Vesper, Vampire or ?

I really like the Vampire, with my only reserve is in stock choices. I wondered if the Vesper gives up anything to the Vampire or vice versa. The Vesper with 700-clone inlet and large tenon sure make it appealing. I currently have two rifles I load for with aftermarket actions, one is a Kelbly Nanook, and the other is a Defiance Deviant, both are excellent. To be honest I really wouldn't mind using either one of them again, but I can't help to wonder if the grass is greener... LOL
I really am just looking for a super smooth, fairly light and well-functioning action. I realize there is really not a bad choice, I was just wondering what the masses thought.

Barrel
Bartlein or Benchmark Carbon in 18–22-inch length.
What twist would you go?
Which reamer would you use?
Would you just go shouldered prefit from one of the big names with their reamer?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
I do not think you can wrong in your components (go LA on action. IIWY, I'd go with 1:7". Do you have a reputable gunbuilder in mind already? I'd consult with him on the reamer. Good luck!

The long action vesper needs a shank diameter of 1.250. Not 1.200. Bartlein carbon only come in 1.200 and to get a 1.250 shank benchmark carbon in .264 would definitely be a special order. I've only ever seen them produced in 7mm and larger.

Thanks guys,

Marty, I have not been around any of the Zermatt actions I will check them out.

Feenix, I do have a local smith that I will see which reamers he recommends also.

Huntnful, I did not know that Bartlein only did 1.20 shank carbons. That could change things.

I appreciate your guys insight!

If I get to spend your money it would be a Bat or Borden. However we don't know what the rifle is going to be used for, that could change things due an ELRvsingle shot way being different 300 yard then hunting deer. I'd plan my weight and balance carefully and it starts with the action. You are at a fun place! Enjoy the trip.

It sounds like you are experienced in the build process. The planning process is a great time to clear your head and as you ponder your options. @Huntnful provided some great information on BAT actions. I have only heard great things about BAT, but I tend to shy away from components that have limited options regarding compatibility. I was recently pondering this same thing. My GS suggested the Nanook, but reiterated the most important point in building a custom. The only person's opinion that matters in the build plan is the customer.

Keep us posted on your build.

Impact nbk long action. Every pre fit company makes barrels for them, or smith can spin one up.

Vampire are sweet but special inlet and small ejection port. Vesper is good but need 1.25 shank and it's spendy.

Impact nbk has bolt smooth- no flutes- when open and is very smooth feeding.

They weigh couple ounces more if that does matter.