new barrel

Using a bore scope, I have looked at lot of barrels.

Brux, Krieger, Muller for cut rifle barrels.

ABC tops on the list for button rifle barrels, next would be Lilja and Hart.

Bartlein is not on my top pick list.

Pac Nor and Lothar Walthar use a very different kind of tough steel, never seen any problems with either of them. Gunsmiths do not as a rule like using either of these two barrels due to how rough they are on tooling. A gunsmith that taper bores a chamber will never have an issue with Pac Nor or Lothar Walthar barrels.

Last edited:
I have had excellent accuracy with Lilja 4 groove barrels if you're looking for a steel barrel.

I love my BSF barrels 6.5 PRC if you're looking for a carbon option. It's a different use of carbon vs other brands, but the accuracy speaks for itself.

I have a 338 federal and a 6.8 western with Lilja 4 groove barrels that both shoot consistently under .25 moa out to 500yds.

The PRC hangs out with the other 2 but is a great deal lighter!

Haven't had a chance to shoot further yet sadly.

I've shot a Krieger 26" 4-groove 1:9 twist in 7STW since the early 2000's on a Weatherby mark v action. It's extremely accurate and I'm currently using 175gr Berger elite hunters. It also stabilizes 195gr Bergers too.

Sent me a tracking number today. I would not have a Jarrett rifle if they gave me one. Sent my gun to them late August. They were supposed to have back to me this week. Told me no problem. Quoted me $1800 to true the action, install a new 27" barrel, and work up a load with 8MM MAG brass. He said there would be no additional cost. I sent them 50 brand new cases. They told me they had the barrel off 2 days after they received it. I called several times a few weeks later. Finally called me back, Scott was his name. He said they had it installed but it shot best using 300 Jarrett brass. I told him when we first talked that I have several hundred cases of 7mmstw and a few hundred of brand new 8mm mag brass. I asked him how much was the 300 Jarrett brass and he said about the same as stw. He said they wanted to swap me the Jarrett brass for the 8mm brass. I got upset and said no. For the price they were charging they could send me a couple hundred Jarrett brass.called 2 times and a lady answered in early October First time she said the gun was sent for bead blasting second time the barrel was being engraved. Last week I called and scott still said the Jarrett brass was best. I told him when we first talked I did not want him to send me my rifle shooting 7mm mag velocities. He told me that the 27" barrel with 74 gr rl19 was shooting about 3140 fps with a 160 gr accubond. My 26" sendero is 70 fos faster with same load. Then he said he hadn't worked up invoice. I said you told me $1800. He said the invoice was at $2400 so far. I lost it. From wanting to use different brass, increasing price with no warning and basically lying, I told him to just forget it and send the gun back. Really bad experience.

Well, I got the gun back today. I asked and requested that Scott (the person I dealt with) take the Jarrett barrel off and send the gun, scope and brake back to me. I have not paid them any money and they haven't really asked and I am for sure not paying them. After assuring me I would have the gun for opening day in KY, I won't have it. I also told him he could keep the 8MM MAG brass. I made this request several times a week ago and this past Monday. Tuesday morning, I texted him making the request to take the barrel off, send me my gun, scope and brake and he replied "will do". He sent me the gun with the Jarrett barrel on it. One of the main things I requested back in August, was to have the barrel threaded for a brake and a thread protector. I hate brakes, almost never use them. The purpose of having an option for a brake is if my daughter wants to shoot or hunt with it. I sent a letter stating this and he had it because he returned the letter with the gun. The brake does not come off. No way, like it was welded on. A VAIS brake that I had on the original barrel and sent with the thread protector is what they used. One of the main reasons I sent the rifle to Jarrett to be rebarreled was to have it for opening day in KY, deer season. Even if he did everything else right, I would not use it, because it has to go to gunsmith to have the brake taken off, and depending on if anything is damaged or if it has to be cut off, barrel threaded and possibly a new brake, so at least a couple hundred more dollars and maybe more and more time. I have asked Jarrett and waiting for reply, if they want the barrel, they can have it, I will pay to have it taken off and send it to them.

I would not have a Jarrett rifle if they gave it to me.

Also, he kept trying to sell me 300 jarrett brass. Stating the gun shot the best with it. I sent him 50 pieces of 8mmmag. he said he would swap it out piece for piece. Wow! I have several hundred stw brass and a couple hundred 8mmmag brass. Why would I have to have or need to buy more 300 jarrett brass? He said it was 40 cents each cheaper. Well, about best I see is $4.76 each for stw brass, so $4.36 each for 300 jarrett or to make it easy $4. I would want at least 200 pieces, another $800 in just brass!

I put a timney elite in this gun (and most all my guns). They are all 2.5 to 3 lbs pull and crisp. Gun came back over 5 lbs pull and sloppy.

for sure avoid Jarrett rifles.