New 7mm STW build what Stock & Barrel

valleysnyper

I posted a while back I bought a early 90s model 70 and 7 mm STW never been shot. Over the winter I want to do some modifications looking for suggestions for an aftermarket Stock and Barrel I want to put a fluted barrel on and I don't want the gun so heavy I can't carry it around on a mountain hunt or where I need to do a lot of walking. Also am wondering about twist rate I would like to shoot a heavier bullet than 160 I would like to say I'm going to shoot long range but unfortunately 500 yards is about as far as I'm going to get to shoot in the state of Wisconsin. Any help would greatly be appreciated

I'm planning a 28 Nosler which is about the same thing. I want to set it up for the 195 Bergers.. So the slowest twist would be an 8 but a 7 would be better. Several barrel makers that are good.. pretty much pick 'Em
I like A-5 stocks.. But I'm shooting for 14-15 pounds unloaded no glass.
Berger's site has a twist rate calculator that you can play with.

I have two Bartlein 5r 26" 3B contour fluted, one 9 twist and one 8. Both are very accurate with 180s. 8 twist is for 195s, when I get around to it. Pillar bedded in my favorite stock, Manners EH-1. 8# 14 oz with March 3-24x52 mounted.

I used Schneider barrels in my STW's They shot in .25 with velocity that was un real.

Get a 1:8 twist to give you the option to shoot the heavier bullets, like the 195 Berger, if you want. As far as barrels go, get one that is has cut rifling instead of button rifling (Brux, Krieger, Proof, etc)
Manners has some very light stocks that are awesome. Or have one custom made by McMillan. I have a regular HS Precision with the aluminum bedding block and I really like it a lot, but it's much heavier than the McMillan or Manners

I posted a while back I bought a early 90s model 70 and 7 mm STW never been shot. Over the winter I want to do some modifications looking for suggestions for an aftermarket Stock and Barrel I want to put a fluted barrel on and I don't want the gun so heavy I can't carry it around on a mountain hunt or where I need to do a lot of walking. Also am wondering about twist rate I would like to shoot a heavier bullet than 160 I would like to say I'm going to shoot long range but unfortunately 500 yards is about as far as I'm going to get to shoot in the state of Wisconsin. Any help would greatly be appreciated
Proof Research CF barrel for weight reduction. I have the 8.24 twist and it shoots bugholes with the 195 EOL.

I used Schneider barrels in my STW's They shot in .25 with velocity that was un real.
That is the cadillac of barrels. Scheider made all the barrels for the old Winchester Sharpshooters and they are amazing.

I lucked out a couple of weeks ago and found what may be a one of a kind sharpshooter in .300 Rum to go with the STW. I paid for it, but man am I glad to have it!

You need to decide if you prefer a traditional hunting type stock, a tactical stock or something in between.

I'm a big fan of the McMillans but if price is an issue B&C and H-S Precision stocks are decent.

Looks wise I prefer Laminates and they are as strong and weather resistant as any of the composites but they do tend to be a little heavier.

The 3B is very similar to the old "Bull Magnum Sporter" taper and gives a good balance between weight and accuacy.

Im going with a B&C stock for now. 26 0r 28 barrel ? Alsp is a 8 twist good for 175-180 gr bullets ?
IF you want the maximum benefit from the case capacity and to keep pressures down you need to shoot the slower powders like H1000, RL33 etc and to get the most out of them the longer barrel is the way to go.

A 1:8 twist will stabilize any of thee 7mm bullets on the market today.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.