Never Spoil your Bird Dog!

Hey,

So when I was growing up most bird dogs stayed outside, were fed table scraps and cheap dog food. They certainly weren't spoiled. So here's what happens in my house now. This is my soon to be 13 year old Brit. She's an incredible bird dog, I'll hunt her half days this year and it'll probably be her last big hunting year.
Take Care
View attachment 450936

Hey,

So when I was growing up most bird dogs stayed outside, were fed table scraps and cheap dog food. They certainly weren't spoiled. So here's what happens in my house now. This is my soon to be 13 year old Brit. She's an incredible bird dog, I'll hunt her half days this year and it'll probably be her last big hunting year.
Take Care
View attachment 450936
Snoozing on the way to Nevada for Chukars and Huns. First flight . My flight bag made a perfect pillow
IMG_6592.jpeg

Liver pointers are not stubborn, they're really, really persistent hunter trainers......
I will give them this. They are tough as nails. They will go in places others won't. A good liver is hard to beat! A bad one not so much😂 Old Joe was one of the best dogs I ever hunted behind and like you said he trained me. 😂 Brits are just so much easier and it doesn't take them 2 years to grow up!😁

A good dog of any kind is hard to beat! I need another one but it would not be fair to the dog. I just don't have time anymore, working 60-80 hours a week, maybe when life slows down again. I haven’t had one going on about 6 years now. The Wiemer belongs to my son who lives in TX.

Last edited:
I will give them this. They are tough as nails. They will go in places others won't. A good liver is hard to beat! A bad one not so much😂 Old Joe was one of the best dogs I ever hunted behind and like you said he trained me. 😂 Brits are just so much easier and it doesn't take them 2 years to grow up!😁

A good dog of any kind is hard to beat! I need another one but it would not be fair to the dog. I just don't have time anymore, working 60-80 hours a week, maybe when life slows down again. I haven't had one going on about 6 years now. The Wiemer belongs to my son who lives in TX.
When the right one comes your way it will pick you. My German shepherd puked on my lap before we decided on him then for 2 1/2 years peed on my boots when I got home from work he was so excited to see me

Took Cedar for a walk this afternoon with my wife, walking past this brushy spot she suddenly dives in and comes out a few seconds later with a tennis ball. She did this 4 more times before the picture and then two more times after before she came back out covered in burrs so we wrapped it up to get her brushed out.

IMG_2254.jpeg
IMG_2255.jpeg

Took Cedar for a walk this afternoon with my wife, walking past this brushy spot she suddenly dives in and comes out a few seconds later with a tennis ball. She did this 4 more times before the picture and then two more times after before she came back out covered in burrs so we wrapped it up to get her brushed out.

View attachment 579209View attachment 579211
Another dog is going to be so sad when they find out they’ve been robbed of their ball stash, great pic!!

It's next to a tennis court, she found all the ones that went in the brush nobody wanted to search for.
We live near a community park that has tennis courts, softball and baseball fields.
My lab was collecting so many balls during our walks that I started just throwing them back onto the court/field.
It’s hilarious to watch her try to fit 2 softball’s in her mouth at once. 🤣

We live near a community park that has tennis courts, softball and baseball fields.
My lab was collecting so many balls during our walks that I started just throwing them back onto the court/field.
It's hilarious to watch her try to fit 2 softball's in her mouth at once. 🤣

Cedar tried but after she bumped the second one with the first one she would just switch. Given enough time I’m sure she would figure out how.

I might start to run her by the other tennis courts to find more for practice. Or better yet my brother could take her when there are some cute tennis girls. That way he can win them over with a cute dog that finds free tennis balls. Women love cute dogs and free stuff.

Cedar tried but after she bumped the second one with the first one she would just switch. Given enough time I'm sure she would figure out how.

I might start to run her by the other tennis courts to find more for practice. Or better yet my brother could take her when there are some cute tennis girls. That way he can win them over with a cute dog that finds free tennis balls. Women love cute dogs and free stuff.
You sound like a good brother 🤟