Need Some Help Here

KCherry

Been loading 50gr B-TIP Nosler in a 22-250 over 37.6g of H380 with fair results from an x-bolt with 1:14 twist. Would like to change to a 55 gr bullet. I already know the rifle does not like the larger projectiles, and the twist dictates my size range (size does matter). The Nosler is listed as 0.800 in the JBM length list. If I stay under this length can I "assume" they will stabilize?

Sometimes a 14 twist will stabilize some of the 55's. My 22-250 Ackley didn't like the 55's very well with my 14 twist. Most groups were around .75" at 100. Droped to a 50 and groups were consistantly under .4" and as good as .15". What are you not liking about the 50's?

Sometimes a 14 twist will stabilize some of the 55's. My 22-250 Ackley didn't like the 55's very well with my 14 twist. Most groups were around .75" at 100. Droped to a 50 and groups were consistantly under .4" and as good as .15". What are you not liking about the 50's?
Would like a little heavier projectile

All you can do is try them and see if they will work. If you want to try a few different brands send me a pm with your address and I will send you a few to try. I think I have some v-max, z-max and may be some Nosler.

My Rem VSF 22/250 has a 1/14 twist and loves the 52 and 55 gr Berger.These bullets are good with the 1/14 twist My load is 38.4 grs H-380, Rem 9 1/2M,in a Hornady case seated .010 off the lands.Shoots .350 at 100 yds. This is with the 52 gr Berger varmint FB

Give it a go. I measured bullets for my 12T 22-250 and went that route, just understand you're going to have to test test test. My Savage shoots 60gr Vmax lights out to 450 yards but was a copper mine, so I ran some Tubbs final finish through which is a 69gr SMK. They were .020" longer than Vmax with tip. They went into one hole so I tried a few. Most 100 yard groups were under half an inch. Then went to 300, shot two five shot groups, 3"x3.25". Tried 450 yards and it didn't match predicted dope, took two extra MOA over my 60gr, all sorts of stuff. They hit with more authority, but not as consistently.

Long story short, it could work, it might not. Give it a try, stretch it to your hunting distance. For me, close to shot great, but stretching it out I lost the advantage of a better BC/SD, so it wasn't worth it.

SHM

My 14 twist 22-250 won't shoot 55s very well but will shoot 50 vmax into one hole...literally

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts