Need help with new muzzle loader

Trm82

Hey guys , my son just bought a muzzle loader so that he can hunt in some better areas and I'm just wondering what to buy for Powder
Here is a picture of the gun and the bullets that he purchased
Also here is a picture of the option for black powder where I can buy powder don't know which one to buy. Will these powders be fine ?

I have absolutely zero experience with a muzzle loader so any advice would greatly help
thanks.
6EEB96C9-3FE3-481D-AA70-3CD525C37FC7.png
DFE62E36-E56C-42D7-AFB1-3ADA79BFEE5F.png
18FE0593-D6B6-4AD0-98C1-C7C761854211.jpeg

Last edited:
I would go with a granular powder so that you can tailor your powder charge to whatever the gun/bullet likes. 3 FFFg is what you want to use in a 45 cal. If you use a pellet type powder you are stuck with specific charges based on the pellet sizes.
Or, take it back and buy a traditional (real) muzzleloader........;)

I have 2 of those CVA LRX 45 caliber rifles. You want to shoot BH209 aka Blackhorn 209 powder as that's what they are primarily setup for. Blackhorn 209 runs much cleaner also. They come with a breech plug designed for this powder also. Recoil is not that crazy but I also run a muzzle brake on my 2. Arrowhead rifles in the Phoenix area makes an excellent Brake for it that also and it comes with a pass through funnel. BH209 is expensive but it's well worth it for how clean it runs and the velocity achieved. If you want more info PM me.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 of those CVA LRX 45 caliber rifles. You want to shoot BH209 aka Blackhorn 209 powder as that's what they are primarily setup for. Blackhorn 209 runs much cleaner also. They come with a breech plug designed for this powder also. Recoil is not that crazy but I also run a muzzle brake on my 2. Arrowhead rifles in the Phoenix area makes an excellent Brake for it that also and it comes with a pass through funnel. BH209 is expensive but it's well worth it for how clean it runs and the velocity achieved. If you want more info PM me.

View attachment 604182

Great info !!
Thanks.

Great info !!
Thanks.
Welcome.

This is the brake and funnel you want IMO.