Need a new LRF some advice please

DartonJager

Well my Sig Kilo 2000 (even with a new battery) display no longer is displaying most information including no more complete distance readings, only the last number and a partial of the second to the last. I plan on calling Sig on Monday but I have owned this LRF for well over 5 years probably closer to 8 years now so I don't know what if anything Sig is obligated by warranty to do for me. It was a very sudden onset issue as in 100% normal operation then problem.

The Sig 2000 Kilo has never been abused or even dropped or been submerged or gotten seriously wet the entire tine I have owned it.

I have now owned three LRF over the last 25+ years. First was a Bushnell 400 that just stopped working after at least 8-10 years. Then its replacement was a Bushnell 600 that after about 8-10 years no longer gave accurate or dependable readings. Then I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 and now it is malfunctioning.

I have read MANY MANY LRF reviews over the years and have seen a great many people comment recommending Vortex LRF's because of their forever warranty based on the fact odds are more likely than not a overwhelming majority of LRF will at some point as all three of mine did stop working and the LRF with short term warranties almost always stop working AFTER their warranty's expire.

So If Sig won't do much for me or is willing to fix it but it gives me a repair estimate of 50% the cost of a new LRF should I just say heck with it and buy a new LRF and based on warranty make it a Vortex this time?

Well my Sig Kilo 2000 (even with a new battery) display no longer is displaying most information including no more complete distance readings, only the last number and a partial of the second to the last. I plan on calling Sig on Monday but I have owned this LRF for well over 5 years probably closer to 8 years now so I don't know what if anything Sig is obligated by warranty to do for me. It was a very sudden onset issue as in 100% normal operation then problem.

The Sig 2000 Kilo has never been abused or even dropped or been submerged or gotten seriously wet the entire tine I have owned it.

I have now owned three LRF over the last 25+ years. First was a Bushnell 400 that just stopped working after at least 8-10 years. Then its replacement was a Bushnell 600 that after about 8-10 years no longer gave accurate or dependable readings. Then I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 and now it is malfunctioning.

I have read MANY MANY LRF reviews over the years and have seen a great many people comment recommending Vortex LRF's because of their forever warranty based on the fact odds are more likely than not a overwhelming majority of LRF will at some point as all three of mine did stop working and the LRF with short term warranties almost always stop working AFTER their warranty's expire.

So If Sig won't do much for me or is willing to fix it but it gives me a repair estimate of 50% the cost of a new LRF should I just say heck with it and buy a new LRF and based on warranty make it a Vortex this time?
OK
Call SIG and tell them you want a replacement. Be really nice on the phone.
Tell them they have the BEST Products and they may give you a free replacement - if not a new one a refurbished one.
Are you a Veteran??? If so tell them that and Veterans Day is around the corner. May get a new upgraded one.

If that does not work and you don't have $3,500.00 for a Leica THEN go and get a Vortex Fury 5000 HD with AB.
We have them and love um, but the Leica for $3,500 is the BEST.

If you are not a Veteran we can get you a discount from Vortex if you want the Fury 5000.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Vortex isn't that bad. I have a ranger 1800 that is old enough to have been discontinued. I use it for archery because of its wide FOV, and smaller magnification and function in low light. It's a good unit.

I have the Fury AB range finding binos too. If you want a better unit it, it will cost more money. Get a vector X….its "better." And you pay "better" money. Same with a terrapin. No guarantee the units last more than 3 years on the electronics.

Same with Leica and many others.

It is what it is.

Paying once for a rangefinder that works better than most people need is a pretty good deal imo.

Last edited:
OK
Call SIG and tell them you want a replacement. Be really nice on the phone.
Tell them they have the BEST Products and they may give you a free replacement - if not a new one a refurbished one.
Are you a Veteran??? If so tell them that and Veterans Day is around the corner. May get a new upgraded one.

If that does not work and you don't have $3,500.00 for a Leica THEN go and get a Vortex Fury 5000 HD with AB.
We have them and love um, but the Leica for $3,500 is the BEST.

If you are not a Veteran we can get you a discount from Vortex if you want the Fury 5000.
Thanks
Len & Jill
I went with the Leica Geovid Pros this year and absolutely love them. Great glass to boot. Leica does have a vets discount also.

Are you looking for a bino LRF or just rangefinder?
Do you want Ballistics built in?
What's your budget?
What your main use hunting/ target?
Ranging requirements you desire?

Think what I'm saying is we need a little more info on what you want and need. Way to many good options out there.

I deliberately avoided buying SIG brand optics with electronics because I felt the warranty sucked you don't even know if the 5 year warranty already expired when you buy them brand new based in serial numbers date of actual production not actual date of purchase however I do like their non electronic binoculars such as the Zulu 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s fantastic unconditional lifetime warranty I tried almost every single one of them. Of course had to use their warranty too which was almost Vortex-like in quick 1 to 2 week total turnaround time.

I bought the other brands of rangefinder bins specifically which have their
hassle-free no questions asked lifetime warranty which consist of the Athlon Cronus UHD, Burris Signature HD all in 10x42 and just bought a Vortex Fury A/B 10x42 awaiting delivery.

They don't range as far as I had hoped in real life not even close to their published specifications. The Athlon Cronus have the clearest image quality but it has a very hard time ranging past 900 yards with the Burris Signature HD right behind in image quality still pretty good but at least it ranges double the distance compared to the Athlon I bought a second Burris and it ranges triple the distance but the image quality isn't as clear as the first one. however the second Burris ranged to just over 2700 while the first one only just over 1800. I sure hope the Vortex Fury AB goes farther. The good news is these are one and done lifetime rangefinder bins as long as these companies are still in business you get a lifetime of updated improved upgrades that maybe even your grandkids can inherit. I also have a very expensive Leica that quit working past the (NOT LIFETIME) warranty and personally NO MORE electronics without a lifetime warranty for me because all electronics will go bad sooner or later.

i would have bought a Swarovski EL Range T/A but they told me they do not have a lifetime warranty over the phone.

I deliberately avoided buying SIG brand optics with electronics because I felt the warranty sucked you don't even know if the 5 year warranty already expired when you buy them brand new based in serial numbers date of actual production not actual date of purchase however I do like their non electronic binoculars such as the Zulu 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s fantastic unconditional lifetime warranty I tried almost every single one of them. Of course had to use their warranty too which was almost Vortex-like in quick 1 to 2 week total turnaround time.

I bought the other brands of rangefinder bins specifically which have their
hassle-free no questions asked lifetime warranty which consist of the Athlon Cronus UHD, Burris Signature HD all in 10x42 and just bought a Vortex Fury A/B 10x42 awaiting delivery.

They don't range as far as I had hoped in real life not even close to their published specifications. The Athlon Cronus have the clearest image quality but it has a very hard time ranging past 900 yards with the Burris Signature HD right behind in image quality still pretty good but at least it ranges double the distance compared to the Athlon I bought a second Burris and it ranges triple the distance but the image quality isn't as clear as the first one. however the second Burris ranged to just over 2700 while the first one only just over 1800. I sure hope the Vortex Fury AB goes farther. The good news is these are one and done lifetime rangefinder bins as long as these companies are still in business you get a lifetime of updated improved upgrades that maybe even your grandkids can inherit. I also have a very expensive Leica that quit working past the (NOT LIFETIME) warranty and personally NO MORE electronics without a lifetime warranty for me because all electronics will go bad sooner or later.

i would have bought a Swarovski EL Range T/A but they told me they do not have a lifetime warranty over the phone.
You might want to look at Sig's warranty now it's changed. Electronics are covered. Onlly excludes tritium products.