Need a new LRF some advice please

Do you want a good unit?
Or a good warranty?
The best warranty is one you never need.
This! My oldest son gifted me a Leica 1600 in 2011, which still works today. IIRC, the warranty was 10 years. Without using the warranty, it has served me well in the last 13 years. I also expect this kind of life expectancy on this type of equipment.

Well my Sig Kilo 2000 (even with a new battery) display no longer is displaying most information including no more complete distance readings, only the last number and a partial of the second to the last. I plan on calling Sig on Monday but I have owned this LRF for well over 5 years probably closer to 8 years now so I don't know what if anything Sig is obligated by warranty to do for me. It was a very sudden onset issue as in 100% normal operation then problem.

The Sig 2000 Kilo has never been abused or even dropped or been submerged or gotten seriously wet the entire tine I have owned it.

I have now owned three LRF over the last 25+ years. First was a Bushnell 400 that just stopped working after at least 8-10 years. Then its replacement was a Bushnell 600 that after about 8-10 years no longer gave accurate or dependable readings. Then I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 and now it is malfunctioning.

I have read MANY MANY LRF reviews over the years and have seen a great many people comment recommending Vortex LRF's because of their forever warranty based on the fact odds are more likely than not a overwhelming majority of LRF will at some point as all three of mine did stop working and the LRF with short term warranties almost always stop working AFTER their warranty's expire.

So If Sig won't do much for me or is willing to fix it but it gives me a repair estimate of 50% the cost of a new LRF should I just say heck with it and buy a new LRF and based on warranty make it a Vortex this time?
Three years ago I spent months agonizing over whether to by the Vortex Fury HD5000 AB or Sig Kilo 5K. In the end I went with the Vortex due to the unlimited lifetime warrantee and reported less finicky connectivity to the Kestrel 5700. I waited for them to go on sale and including tax and shipping, paid $1168.11 for them. I have been very happy with them and would buy them again.

Unlike the glass and metal used in binoculars, lasers and the electronics associated with them are consumables, just like lightbulbs, and with time and use will "wear out" and need to be replaced. If you don't mind budgeting for new LRF every 5-10 years (YMMV), then there are many higher quality (and more expensive) options than the Vortex. I have heard good things about the Sigs and if they now have an unlimited lifetime warrantee, I would not hesitate to buy them.

Last edited: