Need a good hunting bullet for 30 06

When on a trip to Africa a couple of years back, used the 130gr Ttsx and it worked great. Can be speeded up to 270 velocity and has the length of a 150 lead based bullet or go to the 150 Ttsx, and it'll work real well also (have used both, but finding a little lighter fine with the Ttsx). Have used both. Used a 165gr Partition in the 06 with 59 grs 4350 to take an Eland way back. One shot, back of the left side ribs and bullet found in the right shoulder. 180s too tough for most deer hunting and the deer traipse off when hit. 150s leave the DRT. if hit right.

One of the other things I don't care for is the lost of weight when fired. If I'm going to pay $35.99 plus shipping for a 50 box .277 130gr.
G1 Ballistic Coefficient 0.46
They should perform well. Let me know willing to trade for Barnes or Nosler or for the money. What do you have to trade?

From what Steve of Hammer bullets says, they are designed to lose weight also, so you probably wouldn't like those monos either, as well as a Partition where the nose disappears on impact. As to the monos, I've experienced good results with both Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX. Makes sense as I see no difference in metallurgy, design, profile or skivved tip.

Thanks for the offer but I'm all set on components.

From what Steve of Hammer bullets says, they are designed to lose weight also, so you probably wouldn't like those monos either, as well as a Partition where the nose disappears on impact. As to the monos, I've experienced good results with both Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX. Makes sense as I see no difference in metallurgy, design, profile or skivved tip.

Thanks for the offer but I'm all set on components.
I would like to try them and see how good they put things in the dirt. I like Nosler partishions too. They work well. Just like things to die asap when shot. Open for anyone to buy them. Willing to give a price break. Or trade for the Barnes or Nosler bullets you don't like.

When on a trip to Africa a couple of years back, used the 130gr Ttsx and it worked great. Can be speeded up to 270 velocity and has the length of a 150 lead based bullet or go to the 150 Ttsx, and it'll work real well also (have used both, but finding a little lighter fine with the Ttsx). Have used both. Used a 165gr Partition in the 06 with 59 grs 4350 to take an Eland way back. One shot, back of the left side ribs and bullet found in the right shoulder. 180s too tough for most deer hunting and the deer traipse off when hit. 150s leave the DRT. if hit right.
I have also found that I'm using lighter bullets more and more especially when shooting less than 800 yards. They really do a number with that extra speed. I like the performance out of the 270 WSM. No doubt about it speed and the ability to double or triple it size. As well as retain 98% of it original weight, is a deadly combination.

Loading for a hunting buddy. Rem 700, 30 06, 24 inch barrel 1:10. Most shots will be 200 yds and under on deer. I'm thinking something in the 165 range that won't break the bank. He's a good shot so DRT would be nice. Not going to go with Bergers. I'de like an exit .I have on hand 180g Barnes TSX and maybe Sierra GK hollow points. Was never happy with Game Kings close in. Looked like they were shot with an ice pick. Mostly want to see them print well at 100yds. Powders i'm flexible on. Remember this isn't your custom rifle. ;)
hard to beat the elds or accubonds

If you are looking for a bullet "that won't break the bank" Sierra 165 gr. GK is what ya want. Load that with H 4350 or IMR 4350 powder and you'll find some good accuracy, possibly under 1/2 groups @ 100yards. I have several rifles that shoot those kind of groups and they are all factory rifles. I've guided and hunted all over N.E. PA. and I've never lost a deer shot with this bullet, most were bang flop. Good luck with your choice.

In your opinion which bullet caused death on arrival? My personal experience is the Barnes do a faster kill. As the animal never move after being shot. But I do like Nosler bullets as well. I also noticed less blood shot meat. As you don't have lead particles going all over the place as the bullet comes apart. I also like the Nosler cooper E-tips. They work a lot like Barnes bullets. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.
I have used the Nosler Partition, the Hornady Interlock, Remington Bronze Point, and lately the 168 Barnes TTSX that I listed in my reply above (reply #40). All have worked, resulting in dead deer. The Barnes is the only total copper bullet I have ever used, but use them exclusively now out of my 30/06 for deer, and the 225 TTSX out of my .340 Weatherby for Elk.

Loading for a hunting buddy. Rem 700, 30 06, 24 inch barrel 1:10. Most shots will be 200 yds and under on deer. I'm thinking something in the 165 range that won't break the bank. He's a good shot so DRT would be nice. Not going to go with Bergers. I'de like an exit .I have on hand 180g Barnes TSX and maybe Sierra GK hollow points. Was never happy with Game Kings close in. Looked like they were shot with an ice pick. Mostly want to see them print well at 100yds. Powders i'm flexible on. Remember this isn't your custom rifle. ;)

As Harperc has said, we had good results with 165 Partitions and Accubonds in an old Enfield. But it really got to cooking with gas when we loaded 'er up with 180 gr Partitions and 59 grs of 4831. Not a tack driver, but quarter size groups at 100 yds were routine. We tried some Hornady 130 gr spitzers, but we un-impressed with the fragmatation upon entering an animal. Penetration just wasn't there. Too many wounded critters. 180 partition put down a large cow elk with one shot.

I have used the Nosler Partition, the Hornady Interlock, Remington Bronze Point, and lately the 168 Barnes TTSX that I listed in my reply above (reply #40). All have worked, resulting in dead deer. The Barnes is the only total copper bullet I have ever used, but use them exclusively now out of my 30/06 for deer, and the 225 TTSX out of my .340 Weatherby for Elk.
The Barnes bullet are quite satisfying. I like to try new bullets. But I always go back to Barnes. St least for serious hunting. One shot one kill scenarios.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts