Neck Turning Poor Quality Brass

BoatTail

I have a number of custom rifle with Match Chambers. All of them have been set up for me to turn the necks to 15 thousands. This works well with Nosler, Remington, Norma brass as they all have consistent necks. However I just had a 6.5 X 300 WSM build. I purchased a bunch of brass from another company, I won't mention your name so this doesn't get blocked, and their neck consistency is completely off. At 15 thousands there are high spots where my trimmer cut down to and low spots with much less than 15 thousands neck thickness.

My question is although I want to be at 15 thousands, should I instead go down to 13 thousands for this brass where I think I'll be able to get a clean cut all the way around the neck. This will certainly affect my neck tension since I'm not using a bushing. I'm wondering if an inconsistent next size is going to affect my accuracy. I assume it will. So either way I have an issue. Thoughts?

What is your chamber neck diameter? I try to always turn for .004" clearance, but occasionally will have to go to .005" due to brass with a variance of .002"+. Still getting the same accuracy.

Just increase cutter amount in very small increments til you're satisfied. I wouldn't just jump to .013", creep up on it with some of the worst cases, just to see how well it cleans up.

Brass with really inconsistent neck variations will, in all likelihood, have body dimensions just as inconsistent. Using brass that bad in a custom rifle may be self defeating.

Just my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.