My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

Forming copper does cause work hardening. We use full hard copper. Annealing would soften the copper and adversely affect bullet performance. Copper fouling of barrels would likely be bad.
Yup I agree.

The composition of the BD2 tested is in line with what our supplier specified. We had iur copper stock tested by an independent metallurgy lab and got the same results.
Smart move on your part to have an independent metallurgist to keep your supplier in check. An excellent part of your quality assurance/inspection process. Cheers!

This is interesting information. It clearly shows that the copper percentage from one brand of bullet to the other can vary considerably. What we don't know are the other metals diluting the copper. These other metals can have a profound effect on the hardness and machinability of the copper, and thus affect petal behavior on impact.
We also don't know the environment, there are also heating and cooling cycles that can change a metal while the chemical comp remains, certs really just tell you the chemistry and we all know two different foundries can kick out the same chemistry but the metal cuts differently or requires a little different process if you heat treating.

LOL I remember what really made me wonder about this person. If you highlight and then google search the email address it takes you to his or her website.
Yeah, it says it that way too. I sent an email since my last post. We'll see if it's active or a response is forthcoming.

This web page was designed by HTL [email protected]
Copyright 1999 - 2013 -- All Rights Reserved

A quick "specialized" search gave these initial leads:

These are the conclusions based on the Charles Ruth of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources game study made by [email protected]. It dispels several myths and campfire tales perpetually used by delusional advertising departments. Within reasonable limits, there is no magic cartridge or brand of bullet...

Yeah, it says it that way too. I sent an email since my last post. We'll see if it's active or a response is forthcoming.

This web page was designed by HTL [email protected]
Copyright 1999 - 2013 -- All Rights Reserved

A quick "specialized" search gave these initial leads:

These are the conclusions based on the Charles Ruth of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources game study made by [email protected]. It dispels several myths and campfire tales perpetually used by delusional advertising departments. Within reasonable limits, there is no magic cartridge or brand of bullet...

:) I had seen that. That's another site with the same name but wasn't associated in any of my search tools.

This piece is a little out of date. I know some guys on here getting this kind of velocity. If they can hit something point blank maybe we can see some real shock wave results. @Zen Archery are you listening?

The notion of "hydrostatic shock" is a silly one. The sound speed of muscle tissue has been measured to be about 5150 fps, and that of fatty tissue around 4920 fps (A Cavitation Model for Kinetic Energy Projectiles Penetrating Gelatin, Henry C. Dubin, BRL Memorandum Report No. 2423, US Army Ballistic Research Laboratories, December 1974). Even varmint bullets do not have an impact velocity this high, let alone an actual penetration velocity exceeding 4900 fps. Unless the bullet can penetrate faster than the inherent sound speed of the medium through which it is passing, you will not observe a shock wave.

:) I had seen that. That's another site with the same name but wasn't associated in any of my search tools.

This piece is a little out of date. I know some guys on here getting this kind of velocity. If they can hit something point blank maybe we can see some real shock wave results. @Zen Archery are you listening?

The notion of "hydrostatic shock" is a silly one. The sound speed of muscle tissue has been measured to be about 5150 fps, and that of fatty tissue around 4920 fps (A Cavitation Model for Kinetic Energy Projectiles Penetrating Gelatin, Henry C. Dubin, BRL Memorandum Report No. 2423, US Army Ballistic Research Laboratories, December 1974). Even varmint bullets do not have an impact velocity this high, let alone an actual penetration velocity exceeding 4900 fps. Unless the bullet can penetrate faster than the inherent sound speed of the medium through which it is passing, you will not observe a shock wave.
I searched using the email address you sent me. That website is associated with the email address. Look at the bottom of the website page and you'll see his or her email address.

I searched using the email address you sent me. That website is associated with the email address. Look at the bottom of the website page and you'll see his or her email address.
Sure enough! I didn't look at it close enough. This gets interesting. Now if you look at the various links on that site, you'll see the connection of sorts.

Now I might have to use his sign-off as my own. :)

Disclaimer and Notice of Copyright

All the opinions expressed on this webpage and my other personal webpages are those of the author, who has an ascerbic and ironic sense of humor. The author assumes no responsibility for any misapprehension or confusion on the part of the viewer, nor for any emotional or psychological distress, either real or purported. Rathcoombe, Rathcoombe Manor and Ulfhere are copyrighted by the author. Original image of Clifden Castle courtesy of Bert K.