My first “black rifle” - and a crash course on Canadian gun laws and loopholes 🤣

Calvin45

Hi all, thought I’d share my joy with you haha as a new gun is always exciting and all the more when it’s of a category you’ve never owned before.

I’ve heard some Americans claim that all semi autos are illegal in Canada…this is not true…

I am now the proud owner of a Benelli MR1 .223 Remington (that’s a point of confusion in its own, the barrel is stamped .223, Benelli in their own literature describes it as a 5.56…this will be fed mostly handloads anyway but they really ought to be consistent about that)

I actually love it so much. It is ugly. Good Lord is it ugly! 🤣. But a VERY functional, reliable, and capable piece of hardware that ergonomically feels great, feels “natural”, and points to target quickly and better than most rifles of any kind I’ve ever shouldered.

This one has the Benelli telescoping “tactical” buttstock same as what some M4 variants have, and indeed all around this firearm is very “shotgun-esque” for being a semi auto rifle. It looks, feels, and even functions in some regards like the unholy bastard child that would result from an AR15 and a Benelli M4 having a passionate one night stand 🤣. I’ve heard the pistol grip described as being the best/most ergonomic pistol grip ever put on a rifle and can’t argue. At its heart is the same ARGO gas system that is found in the Benelli R1 hunting as well as the VERY FAMOUSLY reliable, proven, and tough as nails M4 combat shotgun

Now the notable thing is that I am in perfectly legal possession of such a tool up here in Canada. It’s not restricted, anyone with a firearms licence can buy this over the counter, which is kinda surprising and funny considering how many things are outright banned now - any true ar15, the ruger mini 14, many others now….its remarkable that this isn’t banned honestly, figured I better get one before that changes haha…

A part of why it isn’t is it’s probably just under the radar BECAUSE it is explicitly NOT an AR, or variant thereof, it is its own thing. BUT…it takes AR magazines/PMAGs no problem. If it didn’t that’d be a dealbreaker honestly, it comes with a single 5 round magazine as it is.

Now for more Canadian gun law stupidity and equally stupid loopholes that I fully and legally take advantage of: in Canada, semi auto rifle magazines are limited to no more than 5 rounds capacity…but pistol magazines are limited to 10. There is no law saying that you can’t have a rifle that takes pistol magazines 🤦🏻, and in the USA there are many SBRs that would be considered pistols up here. So the magazine you see in the picture is a gen 2 CROSSMAG, which is a set of 2 10 round 5.56 “pistol” magazines explicitly marked as such that nonetheless fit into this rifle no problem and no laws broken. This is about the most firepower we can have up here, and I’m happy to have it 😁. Load one in the chamber, load the mag, fire off 11 rounds, pop the mag out, flip it, slam it back in and release the bolt, fire 10 more.

The rifle is not without its quirks and detriments as well…most of all it is not modular at all like an AR, it is not easily field stripped or modified, it does not really have any aftermarket “stuff”, and mounting an optic may necessitate the removal of the rear sight assembly which is just a big no for me for a gun like this. The pencil thin barrel gets stupid hot stupid fast and that’s not gonna be great for accuracy, not that this is a target gun but still…. And it’s 20 inches, and unthreaded with no flash suppressor or anything. I wish it was 18 and may have it shortened and threaded, so long as it’s 18 or over there’s no legality issue.

But what’s not in question is its reliability and function. The Benelli gas system is something I’d put ten times the faith in over any of the non restricted semi autos that are still legal in Canada, any of the ar180 types or other oddball things. I totally get why this rifle flopped in the USA (except California for the same reasons it’s popular in Canada) - if you can buy or build a proven and honest to goodness quality AR15 for less money with more modularity why the heck wouldn’t you? But I can’t…so the benelli it is!!! I’m very happy with my new purchase and also to report to you all how ridiculous Canadian gun law is…but also that there are these loopholes!!!! 😁😁😁. For sure Comrade Trudeau would hate that I have this rifle, and I LOVE THAT!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Here it
Is with the stock set to different lengths.

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpeg
    IMG_8432.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8434.jpeg
    IMG_8434.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8435.jpeg
    IMG_8435.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8433.jpeg
    IMG_8433.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Congratulations on your new totally legal in Canada rifle.
Not sure what type of reloading setup you have but if you will be doing much shooting with it you may want to look at buying some ammo in bulk.
It’s not restricted, anyone with a firearms licence can buy this over the counter,
Can you please explain this firearm license that you must have? How often do you have to renew and do you need this to purchase any firearms?

Don’t think I’ll need to buy any bulk ammo…I don’t get out shooting all that much at all - I have a full time job, am a full time post secondary student via online courses taken outside work hours, and have four kids, the oldest of which is turning seven this month haha…even reloading single stage as I do, it’s not hard to slowly but surely build a stash as I don’t burn up ammo fast these days. I did just finish processing 1000 pieces of brass over the weekend to get started…

The firearms licence in Canada is referred to as a PAL, which is just the acronym for “possession and acquisition license”. One cannot buy or sell firearms or ammunition without this. That in itself is something that of course I don’t agree with but it’s not gonna change anytime soon either and just is what it is. But they’re not hard to get really, they do need to be renewed every 5 years for a small fee via the RCMP firearms program. There’s not too many hoops to jump through, you need to take a basic firearms safety course which certainly isn’t a bad idea, and they do check your criminal record and psychiatric history- that last one I have mixed feelings about, on the one hand I can see why a person with a history of serious mental disturbances maybe shouldn’t be armed for their safety and others…but the flipside is that people might be legit struggling with their mental health and absolutely refuse to seek help out of fear that the government will deem them a danger to themselves or others and on that basis violate their personal freedom and property rights (which are a joke in this country to begin with).

But it gets worse…it’s 1000 little things really…like now you need a PAL to buy clips or magazines as well, and for just a few years now every time a gun is sold or transferred you need a “reference number” generated by the RCMP to make the transaction legal. They say they’re not running a backdoor registry and I think they’re lying. They absolutely know way more than any government has any business knowing about who owns what and does what with their own money and property and life in general. And just a few weeks ago yet another change, they’ve lowered the maximum amount of explosives a private residence may contain, and now require a PAL or explosives licence to buy reloading powder, primers, or tannerite type targets. To say nothing of the all out handgun freeze two years ago. Death by 1000 cuts, death by 1000 new rules and regulations. We never gain new freedoms but constantly seem to be losing old ones and fighting for existing ones not to be robbed. We pray for a conservative government soon.

One thing I admire and envy as a Canadian about the United States, I think even more than the second amendment, is the division and democratization of power at the level of states. Individual states within America have a heck of a lot more autonomy to conduct their own business, write and enforce their own laws, and relate to the federal government than individual provinces within Canada have in relation to Ottawa. Alberta and Saskatchewan are leading the charge within this country to change some of that especially relating to our energy sectors, natural resources, and firearms laws.

That looks like a fun plinker/coyote rig to keep handy on the farm or in the truck. Toss a red dot on it and you're living the dream.

Thanks for explaining the lay of the gun ownership land in Canada for us. I am very (pleasantly) surprised you can still own a semiautomatic rifle of some kind. I'm sure with time they'll legislate it away, but for now you're having some freedom and fun.

That looks like a fun plinker/coyote rig to keep handy on the farm or in the truck. Toss a red dot on it and you're living the dream.

Thanks for explaining the lay of the gun ownership land in Canada for us. I am very (pleasantly) surprised you can still own a semiautomatic rifle of some kind. I'm sure with time they'll legislate it away, but for now you're having some freedom and fun.
Indeed. And I suppose it’s one of those things that will one day be lost in a tragic boating accident 😉. Now I need to get a boat…🤣