My Curtis Vector Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 103481
  • Start date
I appreciate your experience and input and don't consider it bashing at all, you're literally confirming all my hangups about the Origin and why I know I should spend the money on the better action even if it means a slower build timeline.
I didn't realize the connection of Joel and Zeus, so did he leave Curtis and went and started Zeus? I'll give them a closer look!

Thanks again man!

Joel was one of 2 founders of CC he left this spring and has since started Terminus. He is active on this forum, one of the first posters on this thread.

Joel was one of 2 founders of CC he left this spring and has since started Terminus. He is active on this forum, one of the first posters on this thread.
Right on, I'll give Joel a call this week and see what the Zeus is all about. Thank you again for the feedback.

Looking forward to getting this build underway!

This project began in my mind over a year ago, I decided I wanted to build a dream rifle. HA! As many of you know that's almost guaranteed to be a lie to yourself, I am already itching for the next. However, getting this one in my hands finally has eased that lust because man do I love it. I realized early on there were more than a few avenues I might eventually want to take and decided to pause on my Curtis Axiom plans and wait on the Curtis Vector. My hopes are to have a complete system in which I can swap barrels and bolts and retain the same base rifle. I am also interested in the possibility of multiple stocks but that is on the back burner.

Long story short here is the (current) final product, I plant to start with factory match ammo and then explore reloading for it as I go.

Curtis Custom Vector
Proof research 24" Sendero chambered in 6.5 PRC
Manners MCS-TA elite carbon fill in Scorched Earth camo
Mesa Precision bottom metal w/ Accurate WSM mag
Triggertech Special
Zeiss v4 (for now at least)
Seekins .82 low rings

View attachment 110999

View attachment 111000
View attachment 111001 View attachment 111002 View attachment 111003 View attachment 111004 View attachment 111005
A
This project began in my mind over a year ago, I decided I wanted to build a dream rifle. HA! As many of you know that's almost guaranteed to be a lie to yourself, I am already itching for the next. However, getting this one in my hands finally has eased that lust because man do I love it. I realized early on there were more than a few avenues I might eventually want to take and decided to pause on my Curtis Axiom plans and wait on the Curtis Vector. My hopes are to have a complete system in which I can swap barrels and bolts and retain the same base rifle. I am also interested in the possibility of multiple stocks but that is on the back burner.

Long story short here is the (current) final product, I plant to start with factory match ammo and then explore reloading for it as I go.

Curtis Custom Vector
Triggertech Special
Seekins .82 low rings

View attachment 110999

View attachment 111000
View attachment 111001 View attachment 111002 View attachment 111003 View attachment 111004 View attachment 111005
Any issues with feeding out of the Accurate mag in the Vector action?

A

Any issues with feeding out of the Accurate mag in the Vector action?

nope, lots of claims of issues feeding especially when rested on the mag but I tried that too and never had issues. Mine did well.

nope, lots of claims of issues feeding especially when rested on the mag but I tried that too and never had issues. Mine did well.
Awesome! I am looking at virtually the same setup with Manners EH-1A and MCS Gen 1 with Vector action. I already ordered some of the Curtis AW mags but wanted to run the Accurate mags if possible.

Curtis Custom Vector
Triggertech Special
Seekins .82 low rings

View attachment 110999

View attachment 111000
That's a very nice looking rig I bet it will shoot bug holes.

I have experienced feeding issues with the manners mini chassis and the AICS mags with upward pressure. The AW mags didn't work perfect either but have modified the mag catch and feed lips so they work now.

Did not have any issues with Hawkins M5 bottom metal in a manners stock and my first gen. EDIT - Zeus does not have any feeding issues with M5, whereas the Vector in the mini chassis took some tweaking. I am sure either will work better with M5 than the mini chassis, in my limited experience.

Last edited:
For clarity from Joel on Snipershide

"I'll be happy to answer the "elephant in the room question " what's the difference?
First off, I own the print to the Vector. And since I own it, I decided to run a small batch of the original design, and change nothing other than the name to Zeus.. While that was in process, I was spending time redesigning the other prints. I changed the Apollo, Apollo Lite/Ti, and the Helios to a .725" bolt. This eliminated the issue with the cocking piece receiver interface most common on the naked 416 ss actions, gave more lug surface area, and eliminated the mag hitting the bolt body due to the large .750" od bolt. I redesigned the cocking piece so the bolt lift is smoother, and the cocking piece does not wear away the receiver while cocking the action. I changed some geometry on the lugs themselves. I also added threaded trigger pins, so no more using a hammer and punch to switch triggers with a $4k optic mounted on the action.
I am in the process adding these changes to the Zeus. I have a small batch of the original design Zeus in stock and availability for immediate delivery while I wait on the updated inventory. The updated Zeus should be available in a few weeks.
The tennon is exactly the same as the Vector.
I believe in complete transparency and I am always available to talk to should you have any additional questions. Feel free to call the number on the website. I pride myself on my customer service." (Russo, 2019)

@jmcmath thank you for clarification!

My Zeus is a first run action from Terminus and has many similarities to a vector. I'll just leave it at that. I understand there were various improvements to the progression of the Zeus action.

The point of my earlier comments was to relay what I'm seeing in terms of bottom metals and differences between the two.

From my experience, Hawkins M5 is working better than the manners mini chassis for mag fit and feeding. Others experiences may be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.