Muzzle device for short barreled rifle, noise aware shooter

Noise aware shooter, I wouldn't put anything except a suppressor or a thread protector on it. Anything else is going to increase noise.

I once heard an old timer tell pre suppressors they would cut the crown up to 3/4" behind the muzzle and that would make them a little quieter. Never have tried that…I need to some time.
Cannot substantiate this either but I too have heard this as well. I've actually seen barrels like this, just never heard them. (I would think there would be some axial flash)

Yeah I once tried a "noise and blast downrange deflecting" muzzle device on a 9mm AR and there was no difference to me in sound vs bare muzzle.

So I'm not real optimistic about any of those devices and would recommend suppressor.

I have a brake with a blast can on my son's short barreled Grendel. It does make a difference over the brake alone, but it's still loud. I have two cans in NFA jail as a permanent solution.

I have a Springfield Armory Saint Victor pistol with a blast diverter. Don't know if it's sold separately, do think it's needed,

They are sold separately. I put one on my 10.5" ar "pistol".

Yeah I once tried a "noise and blast downrange deflecting" muzzle device on a 9mm AR and there was no difference to me in sound vs bare muzzle.

So I'm not real optimistic about any of those devices and would recommend suppressor.
It's not about sound. They divert blast. It'll never make it quieter.

I once heard an old timer tell pre suppressors they would cut the crown up to 3/4" behind the muzzle and that would make them a little quieter. Never have tried that…I need to some time.
Not following...
The crown (or muzzle) is the very end of the barrel. If you're cutting the barrel in some form/fashion 3/4" from the end of the barrel, it ain't the crown. Are you referring to porting?

Not following...
The crown (or muzzle) is the very end of the barrel. If you're cutting the barrel in some form/fashion 3/4" from the end of the barrel, it ain't the crown. Are you referring to porting?
I think he is saying they would counterbore and recrown the barrel 3/4 behind the end of the barrel. That way the barrel, which now has no more lands or grooves between the new crown and the very tip of the muzzle would essentially serve to project the blast forward as opposed to outward. Kind of like an integral linear compensator.

^^^
I don't see how a counterbored muzzle could have any effect at all on muzzle blast.
Nothing's changing the trajectory of the gases, it's no different than if not counterbored. I've never noticed anything "different" shooting counterbored milsurps, where this was commonly done when the rifling at the end of the barrel would get trashed by steel cleaning rods getting rammed in from the muzzle end.

^^^
I don't see how a counterbored muzzle could have any effect at all on muzzle blast.
Nothing's changing the trajectory of the gases, it's no different than if not counterbored. I've never noticed anything "different" shooting counterbored milsurps, where this was commonly done when the rifling at the end of the barrel would get trashed by steel cleaning rods getting rammed in from the muzzle end.
He also said "I once heard…never tried it". I don't think anyone on here is saying it would work. Did the counterbored milsurps have a flash hider or compensator on them too? That would cause the blast to be diverted after the fact the same as it was. I think in this case the deep counterbore would cause the gasses from the crown to move in a way that's not the same as a normal crown.

Last edited:
Exactly what brcfo and chev posted. I knew it wasn't a great explanation, but I didn't know how else to tell it.

I did put the qualifier on it, I haven't done it but did hear of it done. Like some of ya have said if it's quieter, it's perceived by the shooter and not actual. It's just directing the gas forward away from the shooter with no ports.

Recent Posts