Muzzle brake for the muzzleloader?

Iamnick

Who uses one?

I shoot 150 grns of white hots with a 250 grn bullet on top. Looking at my options of taming it a bit.
I would either have to get my optima threaded or upgrade to an accura.

Doesn't look like there are many options for brakes of this size, I would definitely like to keep using the sabots too.

@lamnick

I use Hankins ‘Master Blaster’ on my competition SML (the most effective brake he makes) and I also use his 4-port self-timing tactical V2 brake on my CVA Scout .45-70. Give him a call or send him an email…

Who uses one?

I shoot 150 grns of white hots with a 250 grn bullet on top. Looking at my options of taming it a bit.

Doesn't look like there are many options for brakes of this size, I would definitely like to keep using the sabots too.
Not sure about using sabots with a brake, check to make sure they are compatible. I have heard of problems with hollow base bullets causing problems when shooting them out of rifles with a brake. It seems the base deforms or separates from the bullet when leaving the end of the barrel and traveling through the brake.

@lamnick

I use Hankins ‘Master Blaster’ on my competition SML (the most effective brake he makes) and I also use his 4-port self-timing tactical V2 brake on my CVA Scout .45-70. Give him a call or send him an email…

Can you shoot sabots through it? How much does it help with the recoil?

Guess it don't matter those are only good for .45.

I need a .50

I shoot the 300 hornandy sst 300's out of my 50 cal. Two 50 grain pellets (triple 7) are okay 3 for 150 grains is a shoulder pounder and not pleasant to shoot. With just two pellets I've taken out mule deer out to 150 yards. It doesn't need the extra velocity with so much energy to DRT. They allow red dot sights here. At the 200 yard range here I can get 10 shot pie plate sized groups.

This might be the best option.

Who uses one?

I do not have any experience with them, but here's one for your consideration.

https://lrcustomsinc.com/products/g3-mz-rex-premium-brake-kit

1720235338161.png

https://www.youtube.com/@lrcustomsinc3131

Last edited:
Here's what you need to know..............

If you plan on shooting sabots, then use a radial brake. DO NOT use a tactical brake when shooting sabots.

If you plan to ONLY shoot bullet to bore, then I'd highly suggest the LR Customs brake, which is what I use and the most copied of all brakes.

Here's what you need to know..............

If you plan on shooting sabots, then use a radial brake. DO NOT use a tactical brake when shooting sabots.

If you plan to ONLY shoot bullet to bore, then I'd highly suggest the LR Customs brake, which is what I use and the most copied of all brakes.
Is it worth the money? I'm looking at around 75 for threading plus 200 for those high dollar brakes.

Prolly would have to get some electronic hearing protection or something too

IMO..... absolutely worth the money. Yes you'll need hearing protection with any brake, radial or tactical.

There are a ton of guys shooting 180 - 200grs of T7 out of Ultimate and Remington Ultimate rifles with the LR Custom TACTICAL brake. They are amazing brakes.
I shoot a 350gr bullet with a "pipe load" of H4895 at 3,000fps and can do it all day long with the brake.

Radial or tactical???????

Radial brakes are not suited for shooting prone. Dust, dirt, you name it goes flying.

Here's an example. There's no weight on his sled and he's shooting 100grs Weight of BH and a 320gr bullet.

Small frame lady shooting a 50cal BMG .........

@ENCORE is correct…..(I overlooked the sabot part). It would need to be a radial brake with @ .010-.020 clearance. Jeff can easily open one up for you. 👍

Last edited:
@ENCORE is correct…..(I overlooked the sabot part). It would need to be a radial brake with @ .010-.020 clearance. Jeff can easily open one up for you. 👍

Is there a rough estimate on recoil reduction as far as this brake vs the other one? I've never shot a rifle with one, only a silencer