Mounts and Rings

Nice shooting!!!
I'm looking for my 338 lapua and stws
I have shot out 3 barrels on the STW, had it for 20 years and converting it into a 300 Win Mag with long throat. STW is nice for hunting long range, flat shooter.

So the rings you pictured are heavy duty Mark IVs???

They seem less heavy duty in the Burress XTR rings.

I am running night for scopes. They're all NXS with 30 mm tubes.

Just asking. Not trying to ruffle feathers

Thanks

Mario

So the rings you pictured are heavy duty Mark IVs???

They seem less heavy duty in the Burress XTR rings.

I am running night for scopes. They're all NXS with 30 mm tubes.

Just asking. Not trying to ruffle feathers

Thanks

Mario

Wow, never knew Burris made those. I always had the Mark 4's. I just stuck with what worked for me, lol. I am getting 4 ATACR 5-25 34mm scopes with NightForce rings. I sold 3 of my Leupold LRT 6.5 x 20 50 mm scopes all on one hit. Two ATACR's just came in last week and they are backordered as well. The Mark 4's were like 200 bucks a piece before, now they are on sale at Midway for 140.

Marioq,,,you are not ruffling any feathers at all, its good to trade opinions and we all learn from it.

I am a Leupold fan as well, have been for 25 years. If you use big scopes like 30mm tubes, NightForce 34 mm and Mark 4 30mm on little bitty rings , etc, they have weight and if you use them on heavy recoil guns it may tend to be off a little compared to Mark 4 / heavy duty rings which holds them solid. Go on your favorite guided hunt and bang the gun / scope around in your truck or accidentally hit the door on your way in the blind, drop the gun on the floor and then you will worry if you will hit that deer at 300 yards or not. I never had my scope go off target with Mark 4 rings. I don't use Mark 4 rings on my low recoil guns, they are not needed. I have had 30mm scopes on Picatinny / Burris/ Leupold regular rings and accidentally banged them around on a hunt and was a bit off by a few inches at 300 yards.
A side note, if you are not a tackdriver, then its not needed for solid Mark 4 rings on heavy recoil guns. I put 5 shots into one little bitty hole at 100 yards and want the best. I use heavy duty rings on all of my long range benchrest guns, heavy recoil or not and shoot up to a mile. I have been reloading for 30 years. Not to rain on your parade but since your opinion differs from me,,,, I stand by my opinions because I seen it happen. I respect your opinions, its no problem. Picture down here is what I always like to do, its why I never missed a deer at extreme range,,,,yet. :D

Never used the new Burris offset inserts, but looks nice compared to the older rings I have used that is hard to align sometimes. Just saw the link.

rdyIfzV.jpg

irY5d0j.jpg

I too respect people's opinion as noted in #11. But considering you've never used the new rings, that's a bold statement to make. It's no doubt you're a good shot as you proudly display but I assure you are not the only one in this forum, but that's not what's being discussed here.

It's no doubt you're a good shot as you proudly display but I assure you are not the only one in this forum, but that's not what's being discussed here.

I am not here to debate with you, just stating facts that all benchrest and F class shooters and smart long range hunters use heavy duty rings for extreme range shots especially with high recoil guns and less worries when you bang your guns around before a guided hunt. I am sure its no problem for you if you accidentally drop your gun and shoot a deer less than 100 yards in brush country, but I am an extreme distance shooter / hunter. Last thing I want is not to wound a deer at long range or wind up at a local match and sights are off. Big difference and of course there are many others on here who shoot great groups. I'll stick with works for me and you can stick to yours. Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

"Go on your favorite guided hunt and bang the gun / scope around in your truck or accidentally hit the door on your way in the blind, drop the gun on the floor and then you will worry if you will hit that deer at 300 yards or not. I never had my scope go off target with Mark 4 rings."

I knocked my rifle over when it had a large bell Swarovski z5 5-25X52 in Burris Signature rings. It hit the ground hard enough to leave a small ding in the bell. I shot it to make sure it was still zeroed. The first bullet hit exactly where it was supposed to. I started to stop at that and decided to fire another. It was touching the the first, so I guess the two shot group would have measured about .2" at 100 yards. Bigger does not always be better. Some times "good enough" is.:)

So what I gather from this is that there are several rings that will support and hold the scopes. Not a name brand kinda guy that everything has to be named. I don't mind spending $$$ on quality when it's definitely better. But what I gather is Burris and leupolds are both good. I know NF are good so I'm glad y'all chimed in. Thank you very much!!!!

I am not here to debate with you, just stating facts that all benchrest and F class shooters and smart long range hunters use heavy duty rings for extreme range shots especially with high recoil guns and less worries when you bang your guns around before a guided hunt. I am sure its no problem for you if you accidentally drop your gun and shoot a deer less than 100 yards in brush country, but I am an extreme distance shooter / hunter. Last thing I want is not to wound a deer at long range or wind up at a local match and sights are off. Big difference and of course there are many others on here who shoot great groups. I'll stick with works for me and you can stick to yours. Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

I was not the one that made the bold statement or tooted any horn for any debate. I know quite a few folks here that does the same but never make such a claim.

Perhaps you're wasting you're time here; there's an extreme LR forum for peeps like you but they are mostly very nice and easy going and recognizes their humble beginnings.lightbulb

BTW, thanks for visiting my profile/site. Cheers!

So what I gather from this is that there are several rings that will support and hold the scopes. Not a name brand kinda guy that everything has to be named. I don't mind spending $$$ on quality when it's definitely better. But what I gather is Burris and leupolds are both good. I know NF are good so I'm glad y'all chimed in. Thank you very much!!!!

If you plan on going to 34mm tubes from Nightforce, the Seekins, Badger, Spuhr, Nightforce and Aadmount rings works good as well. I have not decided which to get but for my new ATACR's but Spuhr rings are the most expensive around 400 bucks. But they all are good. I think I am going for Badger, its nice. Just because its the most expensive does not mean its the best, and doing research and past experience helps you decide what is best for you. Good luck.

I was not the one that made the bold statement or tooted any horn for any debate. I know quite a few folks here that does the same but never make such a claim.

Perhaps you're wasting you're time here; there's an extreme LR forum for peeps like you but they are mostly very nice and easy going and recognizes their humble beginnings.lightbulb

BTW, thanks for visiting my profile/site. Cheers!

****, you are worse than my wife, ya never learn when its time to stop. :D

I have several sets of XTR 6 screw rings that last of which I had to lap so much that I was not impressed with them anymore. They were slightly oblong shaped, both top and bottom, to where they would bind on the scope where the top and bottom halves meet. Definitely would have left marks on the scope. Very apparent once lapped as all the paint on the edges was gone and the bar wasn't even touching the bottom of the ring. I'm not sure how they could make one set of rings that different from the rest, it was like I had a 31mm bar & scope. Most of the time I just put the bar in and make sure it doesn't bind and the rings are ok. The Weaver Tactical 6 screw rings always seem to have some sharp edges, but this was the first time I needed to take any material off the XTR's.
I appreciate everybodies input and doesn't everybody shoot long range ? I don't think I would have as many questions if I didn't.

The Valdada IOR Tactical Heavy Duty Picatinny Steel Rings are a top quality ring. They are excellent quality precision machined and are about 30% less then the Leupold Mark 4. Match this with a EGW Picatinny rail and you won't be disappointed.

I have several sets of XTR 6 screw rings that last of which I had to lap so much that I was not impressed with them anymore. They were slightly oblong shaped, both top and bottom, to where they would bind on the scope where the top and bottom halves meet. Definitely would have left marks on the scope. Very apparent once lapped as all the paint on the edges was gone and the bar wasn't even touching the bottom of the ring. I'm not sure how they could make one set of rings that different from the rest, it was like I had a 31mm bar & scope. Most of the time I just put the bar in and make sure it doesn't bind and the rings are ok. The Weaver Tactical 6 screw rings always seem to have some sharp edges, but this was the first time I needed to take any material off the XTR's.
I appreciate everybodies input and doesn't everybody shoot long range ? I don't think I would have as many questions if I didn't.

Also not impressed. I put a brand new $3k scope in some XTRs and it was all marked up before I even tightened the screws.. not worth saving a few bucks if your putting a decent scope in em IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.