Montana x-bows illegal

1720765616309.gif

Yeah the whole archery world can be a mess between traditional and modern compound bow archers. Then there's the guys who only hunt with archery that despise rifle hunters. We already have enough debate and issues on the matter as it sits right now so we don't need another issue with crossbows.

I personally hunt with whatever gives me the best advantage to harvest game and fill my tags. I archery hunt and rifle hunt. If the majority of "residents" in Montana were in agreement to allow crossbows during archery then I would probably use a crossbow myself. But as sportsmen we all have to respect each other's rules and laws that are set in place with each state and hunt accordingly. And there's no way to make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

I think that the laws in Colorado where you have to wear solid orange as well as a solid orange hat during rifle seasons are overkill because I know it puts me at a disadvantage when trying to conceal myself in my surroundings. But if I want to rifle hunt in Colorado I'm not going to start complaining about it and try to change the way they do things in their state. I will just abide by their rules and regulations and try to have a great time doing what I love
I totally agree with LeddSlinger ,I hunt with traditional archery gear a compound bow , muzzle loader or rifle / pistol. I moved to Mt 24 years ago from Ga because I love this state if you don't like the laws here pound sand!! don't blame the MBA they are on our side! I'm not sorry for being blunt , follow our rules for hunting and I got no problem with anyone hunting here but to blame a organization who is helping us and threaten lawyers really fires me up

I did not read through all the post as I have heard it all before, I am old enough to remember when bowhunters went nuts and didnt want to allow compound bows, "that aint archery!" "Gotta use stick and string!" and I've seen where crossbows were not allowed and then they were, alot of those crossbow users then went to bows and became bowhunters, then we got the QDM guys they want to force theirideas of hunting on everyone, then the antler restriction guys, theres always an argument.
Know what you mean, I started hunting with a long bow in 1968, then compound in 70, and crossbow in 94 due to an injury. I think my biggest advantage came with the compound. It was the same with flintlock n 1971, percussion in 80 and now inline. Here in Va it started out as archery then crossbow with Doctor slip, and now everything is legal. Same with muzzleloaders. If anyone hunts with the new muzzleloaders, they should have no problem with someone using the crossbow. Primitive weapon went out the door when the game commission saw how much money could be made by allowing inline and crossbow in all seasons.

Because we're tired of all the idiots that come in and trash the place and screw up all the hunting.
The states are independent of each other so yes, the animals are property Montana residents and we share them with a specified amount of non-residents every year. Just the same as every other state.

Some of the states that were very conservative at one time have been ruined by residents that just roll over and expose their belly when outsiders come in and try to change their way of life.

I view Montana the same as my own home. If some outsider starts talking trash about our state, trying to tell us how things should be done here, or threatening us with cry baby spineless lawsuits, to me that's exactly the same as coming on to my personal property and saying the same thing.
I have never had the pleasure of hunting Montana, but I have hunted Co and some other states for over 20 years. Not sure about where you hunt, but I have hunted with and around other out of state hunters and we leave the place as good or better than we found it. Over the years we have seen more instate hunters leave trash and commit many game violations and trespass. I did not like the OP calling for lawyers to jump in, it is up to Mt to set the laws(if hunters want crossbow then call your rep. and game com.) Do things the right way.

I live in DE and hunt DE, MD and PA with a cross bow. A lot of people in DE use cross bows and the deer population is out of control. You get 4 doe tags and two buck tags. You run out of doe tags you can get more. One thing is certain there isn't really a range advantage with a cross bow, just convenience.

Try Wyoming Crossbows are legal there.
Or Washington state for disabled. I am disabled and can use a crossbow.
All that is needed is having your Doctor fill out the required paperwork and submit that to Washington state fish and wildlife.
The address/fax number is on the paperwork.

Try Wyoming Crossbows are legal there.
Washington state allows crossbows for disabled hunters.
I have artificial bi lateral knee and shoulder replacements and my orthopedic surgeon sent in the required documentation to the state and I now have printed documentation to use my crossbow.
I do not know for certain if this applies to out of state hunters though.