Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

On public ground you cant take them off a vehicle road here in MT.There are a very few designated 4 wheeler trails on NF.People unload them and ride them on the same roads you can drive in your pickup,its amusing.

Yep I laugh its 15 degrees outside and they are wearing so many clothes they cant move and I am sitting in my nice warm toasty truck LMAO

In my main business I have many friends that reside in Montana and have been fortunate to visit many of the ranches these people own and/or manage. Without any exceptions they complain about people from the nearest city in Montana. This and the sheer number of people that converge on the neighboring public land are the common theme. From my observations, the complaints in Montana are no different than any other state.

Something like 1% of Nebraska is public land with leasing becoming very common so all you western state residents should feel blessed to have the access you have.

You are absolutly correct. I've had the opportunity to talk with many ranchers in Montana and for the most part they are a hard working and couteous bunch. They get a lot of pressure through the hunting season from people wishing to access their land. Most that I have asked have given a courteous "yes or no". It is unfortunate that the slob hunters continue to harass and **** off many landowners and then the land owners associate all hunters with these idots and get angry at everyone. I truely understand the reaction it is just unfortunate for everyone involved.

I had the opportunity this hunting season to sit and talk with a group of land owners that owned many square miles of country in eastern Montana. We discussed hunter land owner conflicts and to a person they expressed anger about people not courteous enough to ask permission or to follow the rules when granted permission to hunt. They then followed it up by listing the many great individuals they have met over the years who continue to return every year to hunt on their land. Many have become good friends the rancers recognized that their lives were better because they got to meet these people.

The bottom line is there are bad apples in any group you want to pick out. The mistake is in painting the whole group as being bad because of a bad experiece with a few.

Good Hunting

mm

I never said that I hate the out of state hunter, or that they are all slobs. I 100% understand that as Americans, we have the right to hunt in other states on public or private ground. What I tried to say is that I get an initial feeling of being invaded every time I see the out of state vehicle. I have invested my life to stay here and hunt. In other words, done with out in order to stay here. Right or wrong, it is the feeling that I get. It's an invasion of my space. I'm sure that most that come here to hunt are good guys, I just don't want to see them during hunting season.

You want to hunt here move here. We have the 4th largest State in the Union. The only industry left here for the most part is tourism, or building homes for people that are moving here. We get our logs from Canada, we don't mine anymore, and our largest cattle ranches are owned by out of state investment groups, or corporations and run as a tax write off.

I really am not a bitter guy. I am just very protective of my hunting heritage that I can see disappearing a little more each year. Nonya is correct, we feel like we are in the way of those who come here to hunt.

Steve

Here is a link to some of the big,recent busts here in MT,they all involve guides and their wealthy clients from out of state.If you get the details of these cases you will find many of the out of state defendants are doctors,lawyers,ect,ect.

Poachers Pay - Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

Nice link Im glad they caught those people! But I didnt see only out of state hunters listed in fact most were montana residents.

Nice link Im glad they caught those people! But I didnt see only out of state hunters listed in fact most were montana residents.

Hey Capy,

I' not sure how you came up with that. I read the whole thing and it talked about busting poaching rings that consisted of perpetrators from multiple states, and even other countries. There was little or no comment on MT residents poaching. I'm not saying that we don't have residents that poach, but the articles were about major poaching rings from out of state, and their out of state clients. It was also titled as typical recent busts.

Give me a break,

Steve

Hey Capy,

I' not sure how you came up with that. I read the whole thing and it talked about busting poaching rings that consisted of perpetrators from multiple states, and even other countries. There was little or no comment on MT residents poaching. I'm not saying that we don't have residents that poach, but the articles were about major poaching rings from out of state, and their out of state clients. It was also titled as typical recent busts.

Give me a break,

Steve

I would have to agree with you Steve, the majority do appear to be out of state in this press release. Seems to me the fines should be much larger due to the scale of the charges.

Brian

Just remeber that hapy character is one of the people Im talking about,hes an arrogant troll with no idea what hes talking about.He comes here once a year for a few days,wastes a bunch of money and then spends the rest of the year bragging about it.Then hes going to tell us Montana NATIVES how things are,add him to your ignore list and you wont have to read his crap,I only have to when you quote him!:rolleyes: Merry Xmas guys,hope to see you HUNTERS back here in 09!gun)

I'm new to this site but I have read all the posts and I would like to say that I have hunted all the Western states. I went to college in Idaho and made friends from Montana, Colorado, Wyoming and Oregon so when I get invited to hunt with residents from these states I feel blessed. I feel that I'm a good outdoors man and respect the land and the residents but there are always a bad apple in every bunch the same goes for the residents of all of the states that I have hunted. I was lucky do get my combo tag for Montana last year and hunted BLM land off Highway 2 between Libby and Kelispell stayed at a cabin that my friends parents own 20 miles in. I did not spend a bunch of money and did not hire a guide the weather was very warm for the end of November as you locals can remember. I was able to harvest a nice white tail but no elk. I two problems that brought me back in to town I blew a tire and had to drive to Kelispell to replace it and my buddy and I were cleaning the Mule deer that he harvested and he cut my finger and the tendon so I went in to Libby to the ER. My point is that I was treated so nice by all the locals I would have never known there was any problems between the locals and the out of staters in fact I think out of all the states I have hunted that Montana had the nicest people I have met in the last 20 years that I have been hunting out of state. So when you see my truck and you see my California plate before you key my doors remember some of us are good guys.

Such a "good guy" that with your very first post you suggest that the locals of MT would destroy private property just because it has an out of state plate on it.?:rolleyes:

That part was a joke. But back in the early 80s in Oregon that was being done to California plates all the time.

Never seen anyone treat OOS's with anything but respect until they show themselves to deserve something else around here.Most of my hunting partners are not from this state,I have more problems here with the guides who are catering to the OOS's than anything else.

Like I said in my post I met some of the nicest people in my 4 trips to Montana. I wanted to come back this year after the warm winter we had last year in NW Montana the wild life dept is one of the best in the US I could not belive they extended the season last year that is good mangament. But we will be hunting Colorado GMU 25 26 The white river nat forest. No guide we hunt DIY I do spend a lot of time on the computer talking to good people like your self and getting as much info as I can about the area I will be hunting. Iwill be back in Montana hunting 2010 but I will be at the same cabin as I stayed in 08 this summer for some fishing and visiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.