Misaligned Scope mounting holes

I didn't like the looks either, so spent about 3 hours last night with a small Mag light in my teeth, adjusting back and forth between the inserts, which are somewhat of a a pain for minute adjustments, and the adjustable bases. Used 3 sets of batteries in my bore laser trying to get it where it worked good enough that I figured it was as close as I could get. I would think that someone would make a bore laser that was smaller than 1" Diameter at 25 yards or at least make a green bore laser where it can be seen better in daylight. Maybe they have them, but have never seen one.

I don't like maxing out scopes, like lots of adjustment room so am somewhat of a perfectionist in trying to keep them centered. I think mainly since my eyes have been going bad, I've gotten worse about it. Anyway have reached as happy of a compromise as can be expected for now. Would still like to know how or who installed drilled and tapped the original bases. What a PIA. Rifle came without iron sights so suspect that it was factory install, as he told me, but really who knows?

Anyway, between several alternatives offered by members, I reached a happy compromise and will just have to see if it is as good as I think it is.

Thanks again to everyone.

Bruce

An in the chamber laser may or may not reflect the curve in the barrel and that can easily be 40 MOA or more. Best bet is to shoot it.

I have several laser bore sighters and they can be seen in daylight as long as it's not real bright but they either go in the bore at the muzzle or stick to the end of the barrel with a strong magnet. They are no better than sighting through the bore with my eye.

RE: Bore Sights: I tried the kind that stick in the Bore from Bushnell and after 3 tries I gave up on the type. If you put the bore sight in the barrel, lube the insert a little bit, remove and rotate the bore sight, you can end up with a 8" -10" diameter circle. There are a series of small Allen wrench adjustments around the perimeter of the bore sight, where supposedly you can adjust the laser, but the smallest circle I have been able to get it down to was a 1 1/4" at 15' after screwing around with it for about an hour. Even called Bushnell and they replaced several of them, but now have 2 brand new bore sights I don't trust. Would sell them cheap.

Went to a internal bore sight and went through 3 of these until I finally got one from all places, China that was actually centered. Marked each one with a Sharpie pen line on the top and then rotated it in the chamber 45 degree's and marked each spot on the target. the last one came up very good at 15' through an entire rotation. I recheck it periodically, but is still close enough to get me on paper when I don't have the time to go shoot, since the range out here isn't convenient.

Unfortunately the sun here in Tucson washes out most lasers at anything over about 20'. My 1000' commercial Rotary laser is only good for about 600' here. Noticed that most commercial lasers are going to Green.

With the problems I had even getting this thing onto paper, I'm content that I'm close enough and can use the Scope for adjustment to finalize it.

If the darn thing has a curve to the barrel going to be very surprised. the triangular barrel gives it more stiffness that most circular barrels of the same caliber, but could be mis-drilled I guess or bent at the factory, but with a bright light, there's no internal shadows, just nice concentric rings. Won't know until I shoot it in. Actually, the only reason it hasn't been shot in is that a friend with his 1/2 MOA eyes will do the shooting (I have cataracts, which are going to be removed in a couple of months) and he isn't available for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, thanks for all the input from everyone. Have meaned out the difference between the Burris inserts, the adjustable bases and the scope and am confident I can get it on the paper at least. Actually, am more optimistic than that, but I can still be surprised.

Thanks again,

Bruce

I just finished Hillary Clinton's book and think it should be rated as "Fiction". Just some more of the Clinton's Metal Masturbation of themselves.
It pays to know the opposition.

All,
Been meaning to do this for a while and would come in, start reading the threads and get totally distracted and forget about updating this post. Before we took the Rifle out to shoot it in, I happened across one the Remington 700 trigger recall ads in American Rifleman Magazines and got to wondering if it had ever been checked. Went into the Remington site, plugged in the Serial Number and sure enough it was subject to the recall.

Figuring to kill two birds as long as i was going to lose the use of the rifle for a while, thought I would see what it would cost to have Remington fix it. Called Customer service, left my number and they called back in a couple of hours. Told the customer service rep what the problem with the misaligned holes, not being able to get it on paper, etc. and I gave him the serial number. When he punched it up, he paused, muttered something about a Cross indexed(?)(he didn't say threaded) barrel and (I really didn't hear him very well, so this may be completely wrong). Said something else about a manufacturing error (He didn't use error, but something like mis-manufacture) and he told me that the rifle was less than 2 years old and still under warranty, but since I wasn't the original owner, the Tech would decide on what to do with it. Also told me that it may not be repairable, but Remington would make it good, whatever that means. After he had ran the Serial number, he paused for quite a while, like he was aware that there may be a problem, then mumbled what ever it was he said about the barrel, so figured that there may have been a group of VTR's with the same problem. I never mentioned the barrel, except for the hole misalignment he did, if that means anything.

He then took my name, address, all other pertinent data and told me that UPS would be dropping by a self addressed box in the next couple days and to strip the rifle down to basics, put the rifle in the box and call UPS for pickup. Told me to write a short description of the problem and put it in with the service Order he emailed me. So far hasn't cost me a dime.

Anyway, the Rifle has gone back to Remington and while back I received a Repair Order to replace the Service Order I had previously. Been back to their automated site over the last couple of weeks and they only tell me that it is out to a service tech for repair.

Anyway, that is where it stands for now, but I do know that the Scope mounting holes were out of alignment with the receiver and now it may be that the barrel was also put in crooked or something, but will just have to wait and see. Am going to have to trust Remington to make it right.

In the meantime, been busy working on an exercise program for folks my age. Calling it "Pumping Rust".

Bruce
In the ear, right?
Sharp Shooter.gif Pig.gif

Send it back to the manufacturer. That's what I would. It's their screw up. They should fix it at their expense.

FINAL Re: Misaligned Scope mounting holes

All,
Received the Rifle back today from Remington. The list of repairs included:

New Receiver - Resulted in new RR series Serial number. Was originally a "G" series

New Barrel

New Trigger assembly Adjustable.

Comment on Repair Order: A003 "Return Rifle to Factory Specifications"

Test firing X 2 to bring Rifle into compliance with Factory Specs. (for some reason, they did this twice.)

Work was performed under "Manufacturer's Warranty" apparently since I told them was the 2nd owner, and the Factory originally screwed the goose on the rifle.

Hand written note at bottom of service order said "Stock was fine". i laughed when I saw the comment.

Now have to take it out and break it in and zero it. Is essentially a new rifle so Thank You Remington!

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

Well that was pretty fast and glad you took that route instead of trying to fix it yourself. If it's an obvious factory defect, the factory should take care of it.

Yeah, it was pretty fast considering that I had been prepared to give it up for the 12 weeks, if not longer, they stated for just the trigger repair.

The only reason I can think of for the 2 x test firing is that they tried to get it to factory spec, didn't happen, so they replaced the barrel and retried the test fire. ????? Can't really think of any other reason. I had used a 36" stainless steel straightedge to do a cursory check on the barrel, but didn't go to extremes on it thinking the scope holes were the problem. There weren't any shadows in the bore.

Anyway don't know why they replaced the barrel.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Cleaning it is going to be a problem!

Sharp Shooter.gif Big Hog Lunch wagon.jpg

Instead of replacing just the barrel or receiver, they may have opted to just exchange for an already assembled barrel and action.

This came to me awhile back, perhaps it may be of some use here.

Was talking with shooting buddy Cliff tonight about his new F-Class rifle chambered for the 6.5/284. He had been testing some loads earlier in the day and was surprised he only had 32 minutes of elevation available after getting his 100 yard zero. Normally that would not be too far out of line except his Remington action was equipped with a Farrell 20 m.o.a. base along with Burris Signature Zee rings and +/- inserts that should have given him another 20 m.o.a. for a total of an additional 40 minutes over and above the 45 minutes of elevation available in his Nightforce NXS scope.
This made no sense and I accused him of having a brain fart which caused him to reverse the Burris inserts when he mounted the scope. He of course denied this. We discussed other possible causes but always came back to the probability that it was an insert problem. We removed the scope, checked the inserts and found he had used them correctly as per their +/- markings.

Before we remounted the scope I used his digital calipers to check the thickness of the inserts and found the problem. Surprisingly three of the four inserts were marked incorrectly. Two of the (+) inserts should have been marked (-) and one of the (-) inserts was actually a (+). I suspect that many hundreds, if not thousands, of improperly marked inserts have been packaged by Burris waiting quietly to drive unsuspecting shooters crazy. Cliff will be talking to Burris about this tomorrow.

I have used both the 1" and 30mm Burris Signature Zee rings many times without difficulty and will continue to use them however I will be checking the inserts with my calipers before mounting the scope. I have not yet checked the thickness of the 1" inserts but a rough measurement of the 30mm inserts indicates the following;

30mm (+10) Insert thickness should measure 0.116" to 0.118"
30mm (-10) Insert thickness should measure 0.096" to 0.098"

Measurements were taken across the center of the insert. If anyone has been puzzled by the results after using these Burris inserts I suggest you check them very carefully.

Good luck.

Thanks 436,
Will keep an eye out in the future. in this case, I don't think that the inserts were the problem since Remington replaced not only the receiver, but the barrel, which surprised me and also test fired it twice. the only thing I can figure is that they replaced the receiver, test fired it, it didn't meet factory spec so then replaced the barrel and refired it.

Anyways. thanks for the input, will be keeping an eye on it from here out and will recheck the ones I have.

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.