Medical Billing Errors - WTHELLO

Muddyboots

Is it me or what? The past year I have received multiple billings that contained billing errors that I was charged for services that were covered by Medicare and my supplemental insurance. It was ONLY after I provided evidence they were paid or have not submitted correct billing information to either Medicare or my supplemental insurance that I was able to remove the billing. Within the past month alone, the total billing errors is about $450! Dang! That's a nice chunk toward a new build! I had similar billing issues in past year that I had to correct as well.

My reason to post up is to give heads up to make sure you review EVERY line item in EVERY billing in comparison to your Explanation of Benefits to VERIFY the billing is 100% correct!

So how many elderly folks just pay the bill "trusting" the bill is correct? So is this just another layer of incompetence? Or worse? Since it is so prevalent you start to wonder.....

I had my right ankle replaced Feb 3; the bill for the operating room (not the surgeon or the anesthesiologist) was $172,500 for two hours!!

I pointed out I could charter a G650 to Paris for a little over half this amount and asked how they could justify it. Blank stares, shoulder shrugs, and "hey, I just work here."

Yep….very similar situation happened to me @ 3 years ago when I had to be hospitalized for a heart issue. The local hospital (and it's doctors) is supposed to be "under contract" through our county insurance to always be "in network". However, for nearly 2 years AFTER the incident I continued to be billed for "out of network" services in excess of $1,000. It wasn't until recently (after several in-person meetings and conference calls) that our broker was finally able to correct the issue and I haven't received a bill since April 11th, 2021…..fingers crossed 🤞.

Dang, those are some depressing stories.
Well, here is a "Wow, am I happy with my medical care story."

I was on a friend's farm and was bitten by her blue heeler - ripped a chunk of my face off. Went to the ER, where I was seen almost immediately. The doctor, who introduced himself to me by his full name (not "Dr Smith"), informed me that I would have to have plastic surgery that day or I would face (pun intended) a messed up face forever.

Was in that hospital for two days. Surgery was performed by two plastic surgeons and an anesthesiologist. Total bill? $3450.

Good care is possible for a reasonable price - but in my case, I was in Australia. A week later I slayed a bunch of water buffalo and had my stitches removed by a medical team flown in to treat the local aboriginal village (no cost to me, but I did have to wait until the aboriginals were taken care of). Our system is broken.

Some of you may recall I hit a coyote riding my new carbon fiber bicycle back in 2020. That hospital bill was $95,000.

Is it me or what? The past year I have received multiple billings that contained billing errors that I was charged for services that were covered by Medicare and my supplemental insurance. It was ONLY after I provided evidence they were paid or have not submitted correct billing information to either Medicare or my supplemental insurance that I was able to remove the billing. Within the past month alone, the total billing errors is about $450! Dang! That's a nice chunk toward a new build! I had similar billing issues in past year that I had to correct as well.

My reason to post up is to give heads up to make sure you review EVERY line item in EVERY billing in comparison to your Explanation of Benefits to VERIFY the billing is 100% correct!

So how many elderly folks just pay the bill "trusting" the bill is correct? So is this just another layer of incompetence? Or worse? Since it is so prevalent you start to wonder.....
I'm lucky my wife is a medical billing manager, She checks every bill we get they don't get a penny more than they have coming