Maybe we need a "car geeks & freaks" area.

1/8 mile was all we had also.
Put 4/30 gears in the back of my
72 Challenger. Don't remember the times I ran, that was in 1979. Good Old Days
You back in the days where you could swap out an engine in an afternoon and be on the road that night. Unlike today's vehicles you have to have an engineering degree just to be able to remove all the plastic under the hood

You back in the days where you could swap out an engine in an afternoon and be on the road that night. Unlike today's vehicles you have to have an engineering degree just to be able to remove all the plastic under the hood
Yes we did. My buddy and I could swap a engine out in around 3Hrs. And be running. 😃👌

Drag racing locally gets good support. We have a couple of tracks. Dirt track racing has been on the decline.
It's a rather expensive sport for the guys racing. Winning first place usually doesn't even pay for the flat tires you got the previous race. Some of these guys dump 10 grand in the motors. And this is just in the thunder cars. Unless you have deep pockets. Or dang good sponsors. It's not so much about the love for racing. I wish I had the money we spent in our youth. lol

Today's vehicles aren't that bad. The manufacturers just make them look intimidating. Yes there's more to deal with. Which in turn takes more time. But overall it's the same drive trains. I worked a few junk yards. You would be surprised how fast I could strip a vehicle. And I know there are better guys out there, that are way faster than me. Now when you have a issue it does take longer to diagnose the problem due to the electronics, relays, modules & sensors. And dealing with the tighter areas you have to work with really sucks. The biggest downfall to these new vehicles is the wiring just keeps getting thinner & thinner. Due to all the extras people need these days. Heat is a real killer on the wiring. It gets brittle.

Today's vehicles aren't that bad. The manufacturers just make them look intimidating. Yes there's more to deal with. Which in turn takes more time. But overall it's the same drive trains. I worked a few junk yards. You would be surprised how fast I could strip a vehicle. And I know there are better guys out there, that are way faster than me. Now when you have a issue it does take longer to diagnose the problem due to the electronics, relays, modules & sensors. And dealing with the tighter areas you have to work with really sucks. The biggest downfall to these new vehicles is the wiring just keeps getting thinner & thinner. Due to all the extras people need these days. Heat is a real killer on the wiring. It gets brittle.
Some things are quicker to diagnose. When you can plug a scanner into the OBD II port and test a sensor or power to the sensor from the driver seat. You are spot on about heat and wiring. We have a lot of field trucks that get so much mud on the harnesses that they weigh it down and break wires at the connector. Sometimes I miss the simpler days, but not carburetor or points.

That's a mid to low 6 second 1/4 mile if it was able to carry it through. That's an impressive time.
He has gone from normally aspirated to NOS. Then put a built LS engine with twin turbos. This last winter a guy in Australia built him a intake with two injectors per cylinder. Straight methanol for fuel. He tuned it on the dyno to 1225 HP at the rear tires. He got married a few years back and now has a year old daughter. I expect him to slow down a little bit in the near future.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Gear heads and guns. My racing days are long gone. Off-road (Hare Scrambles and Enduro) racing was my passion during the 80's and early 90's. Raced on Sunday and spent the rest of the week working on the bike and licking my wounds. My career got in the way of many of my hobbies. Started riding for just the pure fun of it again in early 2000's with a bunch of my old buddies. I miss the thrills, but too many broken bones and injuries finally convinced me to slow my roll.
Hunting, shooting and fishing doesn't fill the old need for speed, but it sure treats my body much more favorably.
I did run across an old photo of me picking up my corvette. I miss that as well.
IMG_1306.jpeg