match in N. Idaho

calib

We are currently working on putting a long range match together here in Eastern WA/ Northern Idaho. There will be animal shaped targets made of steel and some will have some plywood. The animals will most likely consist of prairie dogs, rabbits, crows, fox's, bobcats and coyotes for the small game portion. Then the big game will consist of antelope, deer (mulie and whitetail), black bear, elk and maybe a moose. The ranges will go from 100-5 or 600 yards then 500-1000+. I think that this match should be a fun way to practice, hone or prove your skills when applying the long range practice to a hunting scenario. We all try as sportsman to make clean skills, so on the bobcats on up there will be steel swinging vitals. This will let the participant know he did make a good shot, it will also probably be worth more points in the match.

a little more recent info about this match

It looks like it is going to be held by Athol, Idaho in the Panhandle National Forest. I received the application for permits today. I have been corresponding with the officials in the forest service and looks like we will be good to go once we have the event insurance taken care of and get our application in. it will take two months for processing, but everything looks good with that.

I have been getting some positive responses from some companies that would like to help out with making this a fun match. I may post some names further down the road. I am still working on getting more. I have also been getting some people that are interested in helping with setting up running it and really just wanting to be involved along with lots of people who are interested in participating in this event.

I have a friend who has access to a cnc plasma cutter and I dropped of some steel to him, once he gets a program I n the mail he will have a bunch of shapes of animals that we can use for part of the targets. I am going to need to find some more steel. I am going to get some more of the 3/8" stuff this week and also pick up some 3/4" plywood for the larger targets we will have. I will need to try to find some decent 1/2" steel for our longer range targets where the larger more punishing calibers will be shot.

************One thing I am needing is a name for this match. Some of the stuff to keep in mind while thinking of one would be long range, hunting scenario with life sized animal targets (some with small precise areas on the target), we want to attract hunters that appreciate clean kills along with long range target shooters. The name of our website is longrangeshooter.com so think up something that sounds good. *************

******also we are going to have to start figuring out some dates to hold this match. with this we have to remember that the application takes 2 months to process so we won't be doing anything in a month or probably even two, that puts us out at minimum may, also we won't really be able to properly fill out the application with dates until we figure out a solid date. I would like to have a date figured out within two weeks by the latest. some time I would like to make this a bi annual event, but for the first time I would like to have a great turnout and see how everything goes before I try to plan a second match.******

If everyone interested could provide two good dates and/or a possible name for the match I would greatly appreciate it. This will get things rolling a bit better and also give us some info we will need for applications, sponsors to send things, people to plan this on their calendars.

we have some good sponsors so far, should be some cool stuff for everyone that participates.

berger bullets
brownells
m2d camo
precision ballistics
water proof log books
and
huskemaw

Re: match in N. Idaho (sportsman's challenge )

well
Long Range Shooter's
1st annual
Sportsmans Challenge
will be held the 2nd of june we are still working on the insurance and getting all of the targetsdone up. once the insurance is taken care of i will be finishing the flyer and getting it out to anyone who may be interested. if you e mail me at [email protected] i will add you to the participants list that i am making and when i have more info i will get it passed on.
thanks,
caleb

got our first box from a sponsor today. cant wait to see what else shows up between now and june 2nd

i am thinking that the maximum hunting rifle weight should be enforced at this match pending which state it ends up being in (wa/id). what do you guys think?

working on getting all the steel collected. i found out this weekend that all the 3/8" steel i have collected is not going to work inside 350-375 yards. now i have to collect more 1/2" than i was expecting. i am also finishing up the permit for the land in north idaho. should hear from them soon.

there have been some partner question, hope this answers them.

i think what we will do is if/ when someone brings a partner they can shoot with them and all the singles that come without one will be put in for the random draw this way they will have a partner to spot and keep score for them and vise versa. there will be two people shooting at the same time with four firers on the line. there will be a team at the big game and then a team at the small game. one from each team will shoot then after they are done the others in that team will shoot. this way we dont have a lot of time used up switching people out on the line and we can keep a little order with the weapons and movements going on at the line. there will be a staff spotter per section (big, small game) that way there can be some extra eyes to aid the team spotter, they can also keep a good eye on the firers, course ect.

now you and dead eye jr. can shoot together and any other father son groups or buddies that come together can stay together and have fun. i wouldnt want to split up the father son or the two guys that always hunt together especially since i would like this to be as close to real life hunting scenario as possible.

we are getting our ar 500 steel
looks like we will have all ar 500 1/2" steel targets, just have to wait for them to be cut and then i can pick them up. that took one big obstacle out of my way. now i can focus more on the location and after that is done i will have the flyer all built up and ill be able to get it out to everyone thats interested.
i will probably have a way for people to register for the shoot prior to the match on the longrangeshooter.com website, where you will also be able to pay online if you would like to get it out of the way sooner than waiting for the day of the match.

i was out at the big horn show yesterday and talked to a guy who i use to guide upland hunts for and he said this year he can not do the match on the date i have chosen, but he is interested in doing it in future years. this will be a good place to have it, cause there are lodges that could be used for people that are from out of town, there is lots of land and facilities. the reason we cant do it there this year on my date is due to another group being in there and having something going on. so i am still working on the location for this comming june, but i will get something

yesterday i got an envelope in the mail full of 100 dollar gift certificates. those should sweeten the pot for some shooters

ok everyone i have locked down a location finally, but i did have to change the date.
it will be at
miller ranch
in sprague washington
on the 19th of may
there are two lodges that may be utilized just let me know if you may be interested and then i will get you in contact with scott the owner
if you want to check out their website it is www.millerranch.com
you can find the location, what they offer, ect on the website hope this helps and doesnt mess up too many plans.
thanks for being patient,
caleb

i may have been wrong in saying that washington has a 15lb limit i had seen something on longrangehunting and then seen something about 15 lbs max in the regs, but it didnt say plainly hunting rifle must weight under 15 lbs. i sent an email to fish and game to ask for sure, so we will see. if there is not then will remove the rule. i know idaho does have one at 16lbs to keep the 50's and other huge calibers limited some so it wasnt hard to believe that washington could have been 15. when i find out for sure ill let everyone know and post it. i just want the shoot to be close to a real hunting scenario.
thanks,
caleb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.