Mag primers

More info:

Look at table 1

Primer Diameter(mm) Peak Pressure (kPa) SD(kPa) SD (%)
Fed 210M 5.33 2908 223 7.7%
Fed 215M 5.33 3811 192 5.0%
CCI 200 5.33 2561 270 10.7%
CCI 250 5.33 3587 404 11.3%

Rem 7 ½ 4.45 2303 186 8.1%
Fed 205 4.45 1469 103 7.1%
CCI 450 4.45 1602 104 6.5%
Fed 205M 4.45 1434 103 7.2%

Table 1: Peak pressure averages and standard deviations from the mean (SD) with a sample size of 10. kPa is kilo Pascals, a pressure measurement, 6895 Pascals = 1 psi

These primers all used lead styphnate as an explosive component. Blast waves were recorded using transducers - no variations in ammo loading procedures or components.

From Wikipedia

"Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive determined mainly by its detonation pressure." This is commonly measured by the sand crush test.

The transducers described in the paper measure primer blast waves. Heat generated by explosive energy would be directly proportional to brisance or blast detonation pressure.

I think Fed 215M's are the absolute best primers for large capacity cartridges loaded with lots of slow burning powders having pressures over 60 K psi.

I use my good stash of CCI 34's (not shown on table) with Staball HD in 6.5-06 to .300 WM with heavy for caliber bullets - no problems.
very good info! Thanks!

Years ago I used Remington 9 1/2's,but then had 4 duds out of one box(two different rifles)
Never used them again.
Used WLRM primer to fire 79gr of H870 (till no longer available)
Went through the RL #'s until found RL26.
Now firing that with Federal 215's.
Using WLR for non mag.loads!
The only time I've had a primer fail is when I haven't seated it well (I did have a few ftf's when my 686's main spring got loose, but that wasn't anything but popping the grips off and re-tensioning- no primer fault at all). Either a soft seat, or I left a bunch of carbon in the pocket. I did have a couple of 215's leak and burn a bolt once, then I realized I bought the brass used. I tossed the brass, and none of the rest of the box had issues. I'm not saying you didn't have an issue; remmy was putting out some questionable rifles towards the end last time, so they may have let out a run of primers they shouldn't have too... I'm just saying properly seated primers have a near zero failure rate.

The only time I've had a primer fail is when I haven't seated it well (I did have a few ftf's when my 686's main spring got loose, but that wasn't anything but popping the grips off and re-tensioning- no primer fault at all). Either a soft seat, or I left a bunch of carbon in the pocket. I did have a couple of 215's leak and burn a bolt once, then I realized I bought the brass used. I tossed the brass, and none of the rest of the box had issues. I'm not saying you didn't have an issue; remmy was putting out some questionable rifles towards the end last time, so they may have let out a run of primers they shouldn't have too... I'm just saying properly seated primers have a near zero failure rate.
I’ve got primers that I bought from a guy getting out of reloading 40 plus years ago that still go boom every time you pull the trigger. I’ve always kept them in climate control, but never had an issue.

Between the case neck grip on the bullet, Softness/Hardness of brass, Is there carbon in the case necks that act as a lubricant, Does bullet release become a problem.

Can primers pressure cause problems.

Does real strong primers, Like magnum primers. Make enough pressure itself, That the primer moves the bullet in the neck, In that mill second before the powder actually starts to burn, The pressure of the primer moved the bullet. Changing the volume of the case.
When you have to seat the bullet in the barrel throat to get accuracy from certain loads. Could the primer be moving the bullet, And seating in the throat holds the bullet till the actual powder gasses moves the bullet.