Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

Ian,
Thanks for the article. I'm what most on this site would consider a short range hunter. Most of my experience up until now has been in coastal blackwater swamps and river valleys. Recently I've been given the chance to hunt on a farming lease. Whitetails at 200 to 400 yards in Southeastern soybean and cotton fields are my challenge. These deer are hunted hard and rarely appear in the open until the last five or ten minutes of legal shooting light.

The fixed power 4x or variable 1.5-5x scopes I have aren't getting the job done. I need more magnification and better light gathering ability. The deer may only be 250 yards away but I've got to thread the shot between trees and over rows of beans within five minutes of sunset. I've heard good things about the Super Sniper 10x, but I'm hesitant to mount a fixed scope of that power because my mornings may be spent in the swamp with the afternoons over the fields. What's your opinion of the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50mm? What about a Bushnell 4200 with more features, like an AO, for the same price point? It comes down to getting a loaded SS or 4200 verses a basic VXIII. Thanks.

Lee,
I have carried fixed ten power scopes on open field hunts and never had a problem. If you happen to go into the cover you might get into a situation where you are too close for the limited field of view available at 10x, but that is not likely to happen if you stay in open shooting areas. The Super Sniper is reliable and reasonably priced, so are the Nikon Buckmaster large power range variables and also the Bushnells. You are talking some good optics for the dollar. If money is a consideration I would get the Super Sniper and save more $ for ammo.
ian

LouBoyd

I was reeding your post on your 7 MM STW 180 an 210 Berger bullets at a mile .

I am looking to try to shoots out that far

Can you help me with what you use in your 7 MM STW land loads ?

Redbone

Ian,
Since you mentioned the Buckmaster line, how would the 4.5-14x Buckmaster fall short of the 10x 3200 and the Super Sniper you mentioned? Is repeatability similar?

Lee,
I have carried fixed ten power scopes on open field hunts and never had a problem. If you happen to go into the cover you might get into a situation where you are too close for the limited field of view available at 10x, but that is not likely to happen if you stay in open shooting areas. The Super Sniper is reliable and reasonably priced, so are the Nikon Buckmaster large power range variables and also the Bushnells. You are talking some good optics for the dollar. If money is a consideration I would get the Super Sniper and save more $ for ammo.
ian

Ian, I appreciate the info. I need to buy a couple of scopes soon, but I want to keep my costs down some in order to buy a couple more handguns , rifles & alot of ammo by 2008 elections.

I have your complete article from the Am. Rif. Sept 2007. You mention the 5-15 3200 Elite & it has a good powerrange for my 25-06AI & looks good fo0r a 308 I just bought also. I noticed you said that the adjustments are reliable.
My question in regards to the 5-15 is how does it compare to the Buckmasters in ruggedness, brightness & overall quality. Also, compared to the SS10X, would I lose optical quality by going to this variable? I like the 5-15 specs.

Thanks for the article & info.

There are guys on this forum who have used the Buckmasters scopes more than I have. When I have placed them on my rifles they worked perfectly for shooting out to 700-800 yards. Just how they compare with the newer Bushnell products I cannot say since I do not have the lower powered variable tac scope from Bushnell right now. I would confidently purchase either, they should be very good LR scopes.

I am new here but have some experience with long range scopes.
I have tried many and concluded that up to 500 yds the are many that can be used. Burris is good. Leupold better.
After that we go to more expensive. Under $2500., the Leupold is best. Better glass than Nightforce.
Reticle selection is important. Do not use mildot. Scopes are calibrated at 12 -14 power. No good.
I currently use Leupolds VX III and going to MK4 for longer than 600 yds.
Reticles are FD and dialing.
Hope this helps

I am new here but have some experience with long range scopes.
I have tried many and concluded that up to 500 yds the are many that can be used. Burris is good. Leupold better.
After that we go to more expensive. Under $2500., the Leupold is best. Better glass than Nightforce.
Reticle selection is important. Do not use mildot. Scopes are calibrated at 12 -14 power. No good.
I currently use Leupolds VX III and going to MK4 for longer than 600 yds.
Reticles are FD and dialing.
Hope this helps
FYI
Weaver and Sightron mildot scopes are calibrated at the highest power setting. a 4x16 is calibrated at 16 (I know Weaver doesn't make a 4x16 MD)and a 6x24 is calibrated at 24.
James

Scopes

I put a VXIII and a Nightforce side by side looking at object 500 yds away. The VxIII was better in every way at 25X.
I had a Zeis with a fine plex that was as thick as telephne poles.
Burris calibrates at a max 16X.
If your shots are under 500 yds then there are lots that can do the job. Reticle choice becomes the issue. Many are too thick.
I have actually put my eye on the competition instead of reading the advertising and reports from paid mag writers.
When it comes to optics, buyer beware.

A lot of guys use the 2nd FP mil-dot reticle at the calibrated power, but it certainly doesn't need to be so, assuming the optic is calibrated at 10 or 12X and goes higher to maybe 14, 16, 20 and 24X's. The rangefinding features will be more accurate at the scope's highest power most of the time anyway, and r just great applied as a ballistic reticle at the higher powers. Look at the optics companies catalogs (especially Nikon), most of them provide the reticle subtensions at the lowest, calibrated, and highest powers. A lot of guys r critical of the mil-dot size relative to a pr. dog--this is another advantage to a 2FP mil-dot reticle that goes to 16, 20 or 24X--the dot size gets smaller relative to the tgt.

I have a Mueller prototype that has excellent glass: 30mm tube, 4x-16x, side focus, second focal plane, mil-dot reticle that I have used some, and really like. But to date that is the only scope I have used. I haven't had time to run this one through the paces yet, but from the times I have used it, I really like it.

Thanks for the info. 30mm tube is nice, any idea when it will be offered? All I have seen are the 1" tubes, they look good for the money.

Frank D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.