Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy

ADMIN

Administrator
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Low Priced Long Range Scopes, by Ian McMurchy. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Ian passed away just before Christmas, 2008. Read the tributes to this giant of a man QUOTE]

Last edited:
Interesting read. Nice to see a down to earth attitude.

I was kind of down on the optics of my SS 16X until Monday of this week when I picked up my new glasses, well actually Tuesday after one day to adapt.

With the new prescriptions the experience was pretty much like upgrading to a NXS i.e., brighter, more clear and crisp.

As expected it tracks well also. However, I'm not fully accustomed to clicking yet as I arrived at the range one day with the zero set one full rotation low.:mad: I appreciated the idea of you friend shooting a last shot @ 100 to confirm zero.

At this stage in life I can't "see" the purchase of S&B optics with these Bushnell eyes;)

ive got a 10x ssniper on my m1a, and as a rookie LR guy im impressed.wanked and cranked on it all day long shootin from 100-1k, tracked perfect. couple far more experienced buddys havem on a 338 lapua and a 308 tactial savage and convinced me not to spend the big bucks. im very VERY pleased w the super sniper

lear

I also have a 10x S/S. Got it in a trade and have hung on to it. It's been on a 1/2 dozen different rifles, and it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. It's the cheaper one with the rear parallax adj. The knobs are stiff, but it tracks. I've sold rifles out from under it, but kept it. It's funny, I like the big Leupolds better, but I hang on to this one.

My 2 cents, Tom

interesting read i need to check into them i want to learn how to use a scope by clicking in for elavation and windage but was unsure about a high dollar scope to learn on .i like the idea of a cheaper scope to learn how to do this is there a book that goes into detail how to do this

jim

Last edited:
Jim,

No book that I know of. Just work up a drop chart from some software program. Convert inches drop to MOA and start clicking.;)

Just remember where zero is.:(

thanks roy i have heavy barrel 308 win i plan on useing or would a 223 be better i would like to know what im doing before i get the highend scope for my 300 rum

jim

DB,
Most of your ballistic software programs will let you switch to MOA, and then all your come-ups will be in MOA.
Don't try to think in the number of clicks, but rather in MOA.
The Leupy's and the SS (I think) have 15 minutes (MOA) per revolution.
Everyone gets mixed up at one time or another in dialing-it is all part of the learning experience & the fun. Make sure to have several drop charts with you, as they tend to run off when you are not looking:D

thanks guys ill order the ss the first of the week should i get the 10 or 16 power i decided to use the 12BVSS in 308 im in the process of putting it in a joel russo A5 Laminate stock its one sweet stock and should i use a 20 moa bases i have a 700 yard range close by and a 1000 yard a little farther out

JIM

Is the SS made by Tasco ?

Heard Tasco was in some financial difficulty ?

I am considering the Bushnell , also .

I know it is not a tactical scope , but how does the Sightron SII 4 x 12 or the Burris Fullfield II 3 x 9 x 40 compare

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Twister,
I understand that Bushnell acquired the rights to the Tasco name a few years ago. I believe most of the scopes sold by both brands are made by a third party who builds to whatever specs and price-point is requested.

I have shot Sightron scopes and the ones I used, incuding the new Big Sky, have been reliable and pretty darn good value for the money.

I still like the Super Sniper in 10X or the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X for entry-level, lower priced scopes that do a good job and stand up to lots of use.

Twister,
I understand that Bushnell acquired the rights to the Tasco name a few years ago. I believe most of the scopes sold by both brands are made by a third party who builds to whatever specs and price-point is requested.

I have shot Sightron scopes and the ones I used, incuding the new Big Sky, have been reliable and pretty darn good value for the money.

I still like the Super Sniper in 10X or the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X for entry-level, lower priced scopes that do a good job and stand up to lots of use.

I read , in several places , Bushnell bought Baush & Loamb (sp) .

Had not heard they bought Tasco ??????????

My concern with a fixed power 10x scope is that it would be unuseable at close distances ( 25 yards ) , if need arose ?

God bless
Wyr

20 MOA base will make 25 yards verrrrry tough to shoot!!!!

Joe Oakes

20 MOA base ? Sorry , you lost me . :-(

Could you please explain ?

What I was concerned about was the inability to get anything to focus at short fistances ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.