Looking to buy a new 22lr

Iggy1651

Hey, I am looking to purchase a new 22lr for around $200. I am looking for a reliable one that can drop a rabbit or turkey with no problem at 150+ yards. I am currently looking at the marlin 22xt. I prefer bolt action. I have already purchased a simmons 3-9x/40mm simmons scope. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Every Wednesday the local Range Volunteers and Staff have their day at the range. I am one of those. We have lunch and shoot 22LR.

Our usual thing is to sight in at 50yards on a grid of dots where each dot is 1/2". After that we mostly shoot "dum dum" lolly pops followed by shooting the sticks. Some of us, me, shoot out to 400 yards. Usually I spend a lot of time on a 3" x 12" silhouette popper at 275 yards. Wind reading practice.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

That is background to point out that we are an accuracy based group. Sub MOA or better 22LR. Lot's have 17 HMR or 17 WSM as well. Those usually come out after the 22LR. We've gone through a lot of rifles and accurizing techniques and never stop looking for more from our 22LR.

No one shoots a Marlin xt22. Tube feed and accuracy do not usually go together. If you were going to stay sub 100 yards sure.

If it were me (IIWM)

Get a Ruger American Rimfire with a 22" barrel or a Ruger 10/22 with a 20". Then do a little accurizing.

• For a RAR, cut 2 inches off the barrel and put a quality target crown on it. Lower the trigger pull as far as you can.
  • For a 10/22, polish the trigger mating surfaces with car finish polisher. About 3000 grit. Have it target crowned.

That is the minimum we do to accurize for any rifle. It will get you much more consistancy at 100+ yards.

The other thing you will have to do is the ammo search. What does that rifle like?

Every 22LR that I've known likes Eley Tenex but at $0.38 per shot the shooters don't. The challenge is finding the ammo it likes. Some guys have really good luck with their RAR and Feder 325 box. I use something else at $.013 per shot. CCI Standard Velocity almost always works.

If that is our of your budget, give the Marlin xt22 a try. You can always give it to one of the cast of "Swamp People" to euthanize the gators. :)

Thank you for all the information. I think i going to go with a bolt action ruger 10/22. I will look into the bullets. Thank you

If it were me (IIWM)

Get a Ruger American Rimfire with a 22" barrel or a Ruger 10/22 with a 20". Then do a little accurizing.

Any thoughts on the CZ 455's? Seems like they have a pretty good following as well and now that my 22 suppressor finally got approved, I need to step up from the crappy old Rem597 that I've had for a few years now and never shoot.

I have no problems with .22LR accuracy. I will say shot side by side in a field full of squirrels it doesn't work as well as a 17HMR.

Lots of different .22 ammo available, and I haven't tried all of them, but the number of hits past 100 yards, and terminal performance favor the .17 by quite a margin.

The Savage 93R17 HMR FV-SR having just looked briefly, is roughly $100 more.

I sighted in a 10\22 for a friend last year and I would not shoot it to 100 yards. If it were me the CZ's are the way to go yes they cost a little more but you get what you want. This is just my opinion but spend a little more and get alot more os a gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts