Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

It's been several years since I shot a MARS-H, but they're nice.....especially if you utilize their ability to easily swap barrels. At 9.48 pounds empty (and likely without any sights), they're among the heavier 16" large frame ARs.

I bought a cheap 16" barrel for my Aero M5 to try out and it works well enough for close range use, but right now it's in a drawer.

Mag changes are slower for them, but if you like the M14 platform, the 16" variety is a solid option. The short barrel length changes the procedure needed to clean the gas system. If you plan to run an optic, the large frame AR works out better than the M14 clone (but there are solutions).

I have a couple PWS in 5.56 and one in 7.62x39. The MK216/214 will be the next 7.62 I get. These fit the battle rifle theme.

Attachments

• 96ADB875-04E9-4339-BA66-64FC87916D18.jpeg
    96ADB875-04E9-4339-BA66-64FC87916D18.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 11
Found a couple of these available Thoughts??

LMT MARS-H .308 16′ Chrome Lined Barrel – Black

LMT MWS MARS HS MLOK 308 win
I love LMT and built one of these. They are too heavy and bulky to carry around as a battle rifle if that is what you are looking for. In more of a DMR type roll they are awesome and mine was plenty reliable but weight, bulk, and the reciprocating mass of the BCG are noticeable.

Intended use is Home defense, combat training and predator control/hunting
A 16" 308 gas gun for use indoors? Who are you trying to kill? The invader (and potentially some of your neighbors across the street)? Or yourself from the concussion/blast induced TBI?

I don't even think I'd be too interested in shooting my 16" 308 indoors, and it's wearing a 7" can.

Pretty expensive to obtain one now. Plus they are rough on brass. I got rid of mine, while nice there are plenty of other good 308 battle rifles.
Did you have a Case buffer, Really cuts back on the case dent, though nothing can be done with the flutes, but this is one of the reason if it fires it will extract.

I did have an early M1A from Devine Texas, do regret trading it, as we always do later.

Did you have a Case buffer, Really cuts back on the case dent, though nothing can be done with the flutes, but this is one of the reason if it fires it will extract.

I did have an early M1A from Devine Texas, do regret trading it, as we always do later.
No I didn't have a case buffer, but my main concern was the flutes. I reload so those flutes were disgusting to see. I had two M1A prebans and they were great rifles. I kept the FAL's because I built one from a kit and the resale can be a grey zone. Plus it shoots really well and I have another kit and receiver sitting on the shelf. With the new bullets today my AR15 crosses over into battle rifle duties. so the 308s pretty much just sit in the safe.

1st on the list is the

FN AMERICA SCAR 17S NRCH 7.62mm 16in 1x20rd FDE Rifle (98541-2)

2nd

Sig Sauer MCX Spear

16 inch barrel
Can I do any better???
Yes you can do much better. My FN SCAR 20 was a $500 dollar loss. From new to selling it 4 months later. It's phyically heavy for a compact weapon. I reload so I made up some 150 FMJ with like 4 grains under max hodgdons onling loading load with TAC powder, shorter seated for good mag length, and went out to test. It went bang and I tried to sqeeze off a second shot and nothing. The bolt was jammed in the closed position. I was pulling with all my might and it would not budge. So I got out my tools and knocked out the front and rear take down pins. I had to use a flat head screw driver to get the bolt out of the upper. Because it had blown a primer and the primer case had wedged between the bolt and the upper. I started to think that my Dillion 550 had given it a big dose of extra powder. So I tried again and it shot 3 rounds and then jammed again. I was wondering what I did wrong. So I went home and seated the bullets even shorter thinking tight chamber because I really didn't want to pull a couple hundred 308 rounds. Same crap it would shoot a few and jam so bad that you had to tear the rifle down. So I called a friend and he said Service rifle ammo only. So I looked at the reloading tables for 308 service rifle. 308 rem is a wimpy in comparison to modern 30 cal ultra mags and service rifle is pathetic. I was going day and night pig hunting and wanted faster shooting than my bolt rifles was the reason I bought the FN. I was very dissapointed. :( I used an M14 and a colt 1911 in the military when all regular military carried m16's. I thought the m16 was more of kids gun. I grew up shooting varmints with a 22-250 26 inch.

The military went from m14 to m16 5.56 mainly because of ammo weight. But kept the m60 belt fed which I always loved. Now they have the SAW 5.56. because of the progression to urban city fighting. Later on I was activated as a reservist for Desert storm. The M203/M320 weapon system was my fun gun of choice and launching grenades about 400 yard was a good time. That is about the ultimate home defence weapon. :)

So I took the $500 loss on the SCAR and did a little reseach on piecing together my own full on 308 with 20 and 24 inch barrels to get the most velocity. I don't like wounding things. I like DRT Dead Right There! 5.56 is not a DRT even in war. You have to be thinking about double tap or more against determined or drugged people.

My 20 308 inch is always ready to rock and roll as are my 1911 , 357, :)

As to AR15 being the answer!!!! In a helecopter you always try and transit above 1500 feet. Small arms like 5.56 or AK47 don't bother you at all. The bad guys even knew the range of 5.56 and were very safe way out there.

Last edited:
Ball ammo in the military isn't as effective to kill compared to OTM or polymer tipped. It's designed not to expand. All part of the Hague Convention. OTM's are more effective, polymer tipped even more so. Which is why a polymer tipped .223/ 5.56 is good for predator or deer hunting. Ball ammo in 308 Win or 5.56 is not.

Buy one from a Smith that you trust that will put one together just like you want it if not that then I'd buy a daniel defense
I'd second the Daniel Defense.308. I have two, great gun that comes with some extras that I'd end up converting too anyway. It's a little heavy at 8.6 lbs but slimmer than most AR 10 rifles. I know the question specifically asked about battle rifle but I mostly agree with others who have stated that their primary home defense is a 12 ga. Hard to beat a Benelli M1 Super 90 with the 8 shot tube.