Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

threads like this are why those guys did the Boxotruth way back in the day.
rednecks doing redneck stuff but their drywall and clay block stuff were fun

threads like this are why those guys did the Boxotruth way back in the day.
rednecks doing redneck stuff but their drywall and clay block stuff were fun
Now if he'll space the same amount out further between the drywall and retest. Also could stack against each other and test that way also. dead space can do many things as catwalk on a buffalo (or whatever other armored military vehicle that does the same) can protect against rpg's.

I will throw the Ruger SFAR into the consideration pile. AR-10 performance in an AR-15 size and weight package at a pretty fantastic price. I too have been on a quest to find a useful .308 semi auto. I had an DT MDRX and built an LMT, but ended up ditching both. We will see where this road leads, my wallet is certainly happier about it.

I'm running a POF rogue, the lightest 308 AR. Just under 6# stock. Leupold 2.5-8x 36 vx3hd. Just under 7 pounds with sling and 6 rounds in the mag. Feels really light compared to my cmmg ar10. Really easy to carry all day. Shoots 1 moa with federal 180 power points. A little better with hand loads.

M14 type for me, LRB M14's and Smith Enterprise M14. Well built, reliable and accurate. Maybe I am a Fudd, but I can shoot them.

I've owned a few Armalites and DPMS rifles, they were pretty good too, I especially liked the DPMS GII models.

A scar would be an unrealistic and impractical home defense weapon unless you live on a good size piece of property, meaning not a subdivision or small lot, where you have the space to deploy it. Also for the money, there are better options out there. If you're stuck on 308 then a lighter and more maneuverable platform would be a better choice, like an ar10 type.

I see no comments re the HK91's. I've got 2 from the 70's. Always work. Had a friend in South Africa the said it could be dragged anywhere and still work. Granted the brass does not look great coming out, and is thrown quite a distance without the buffer, but is still re-loadable. Also have 2 scopes 1 with an original HK mount and a second with an after market clone.

I see no comments re the HK91's. I've got 2 from the 70's. Always work. Had a friend in South Africa the said it could be dragged anywhere and still work. Granted the brass does not look great coming out, and is thrown quite a distance without the buffer, but is still re-loadable. Also have 2 scopes 1 with an original HK mount and a second with an after market clone.
Pretty expensive to obtain one now. Plus they are rough on brass. I got rid of mine, while nice there are plenty of other good 308 battle rifles.

1st on the list is the

FN AMERICA SCAR 17S NRCH 7.62mm 16in 1x20rd FDE Rifle (98541-2)

2nd

Sig Sauer MCX Spear

16 inch barrel
Can I do any better???
Just some alternatives. no experience with your 2.
SCAR is very expensive.
M1A is widely respected, and handier to us old timers who didn't train on M16.
FN FAL was a world burner for many years.
I have a K&M M17S, a bullpup in .308 with a 20" barrel -still a short rifle and fun to shoot, reliable.
M1 Garand can be re-barreled to .308 and function just fine.

All of these were designed as military rifles.

I'm running a POF rogue, the lightest 308 AR. Just under 6# stock. Leupold 2.5-8x 36 vx3hd. Just under 7 pounds with sling and 6 rounds in the mag. Feels really light compared to my cmmg ar10. Really easy to carry all day. Shoots 1 moa with federal 180 power points. A little better with hand loads.

First shots with one of these sfar from pof was an eye opener. Kinda sealed the deal for me, life's to short to pack 10+ pound guns if you don't have to...