Looking into my first elk hunt

Just talked to Mick Chapell. His outlook was pretty bleak on the chances of a non-resident drawing a tag in New Mexico. Sounded like it would be worth it if you got lucky, though. I'm thinking I just need to start applying in states with the bonus point system, but even then it seems there are no guarantees.

Just talked to Mick Chapell. His outlook was pretty bleak on the chances of a non-resident drawing a tag in New Mexico. Sounded like it would be worth it if you got lucky, though. I'm thinking I just need to start applying in states with the bonus point system, but even then it seems there are no guarantees.

That is why I recommended going with the landowner tag route. A bit more expensive, but you are gaurantee a tag

Here is a brief rundown of the Nonresident Combo licenses that are available in Montana. They are pretty spendy, but there is also another option called a 'B Tag' that is less expensive.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nonresidentCombo.html

My suggestion would be to pick a good hunting partner (or two), research OTC areas, and make a hunt of a lifetime every year.
Meanwhile, put in for the preference points in whatever state you choose. You'll learn about elk and elk hunting while spending quality time in the woods and eventually you'll draw a bull tag. Then you can decide if you need a guide or just want to do it on your own.

Good luck! Keep us up to date on how it's all going!

I can't afford the landowner permit hunts. I've got enough money saved up that I can afford a quality guided hunt. I'm going to have to start putting in applications and building bonus points. In the meantime, I may or may not look into OTC permits in Colorado and Wyoming. Montana seems ridiculously expensive o try and hunt on an OTC permit.

I dream of shooting bulls like that. Not sure I have the funds to get that kind of hunt.

The cost of a CO nonresident bull/fishing combo is $661. Do your homework, find the areas and target some thick beds and good elk routes and you can get a nice bull like those. What it takes, mostly, that most don't do is the willingness to hike in, stay put, and have clear plan in place if you drop one. Look at the deadfall that those hogs are in!

Yes there is a left over list but they are never left over elk licenses. I think I've seen 1 or 2 left over elk licenses in 10 years and those were for handicapped hunters.

In NM 6% of the tags in a unit are reserved for non-resident unguided. 10% of the tags are reserved for guided non-resident, and 84% are for residents. My suggestion to the OP is start building points in other states but apply for NM premium elk hunts. Its a random draw every year so your odds aren't good but the same every year, why not try. If you do draw you really don't need a guide in our top units there is a ton of elk. But if your really interested in the big bulls 350+ a guide will help your chances considerably.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.