Looking for first pack.

As a contrarian, I would buy an old Kelty Tioga or Super Tioga, or a Trailwise, on eBay for a hundred bucks. Worked then, would work now.

And I have the predecessor to Mystery Ranch, Dana Design, when they were made in Bozeman.

Then get whatever you want for coyotes and competitions.

The Mystery Ranch packs are very well made and I hauled at least 6-8 animals with my metcalf, but I never could get a good fit and found it uncomfortable. I am happy with the Kuiu Pro packs I now have. They are functional, comfortable and fit ME well.
It is a great thing we have so many choices to suit our different body types.
It would be great if there were "one-stop-shops" to try all the major player's pack on under load... but that is a unicorn.

Got this from Sportsman's Warehouse. 25% off on Mystery Ranch.
Sportsman's Warehouse.jpg

Just like anything try as many as you can. I tried EXO, Kuiu, Eberle (Heavy as hello), Mystery Ranch, Stone. All were very nice and I went with the Kuiu LT4000 because on sale they were the least expensive. For hike in camp/hunt I will be adding a larger bag. LT material is more than durable enough, and will go with the standard for no other reason than the access to areas. One large stuff sack pack I don't prefer.

Just like anything try as many as you can. I tried EXO, Kuiu, Eberle (Heavy as hello), Mystery Ranch, Stone. All were very nice and I went with the Kuiu LT4000 because on sale they were the least expensive. For hike in camp/hunt I will be adding a larger bag. LT material is more than durable enough, and will go with the standard for no other reason than the access to areas. One large stuff sack pack I don't prefer.
I have owned and tried all but the EXO. Still have Kifaru and Kuiu. Most of the time I use the Kuiu. It is lighter (about the same as SG), fits as well as the others and loads well. Plus, the bags are pretty reasonable so having a few for different scenarios doesn't cost near as much as some of the others.

Kifaru - whichever one turns you on and a gun bearer. Pick a pack that goes on the duplex frame and it will handle more weight than you want to. Ask me howni know...
Your wallet will cry but you'll have a set-up to pass on to your kids or grandkids.

I've been using and abusing my Kifaru for years and years in Western US plus Alaska. An amazing pack plus frame capable of 100+ loads. You can also customize them to your desired needs with pouches, lids, accessories, and bags. I actually have 2 different bags that I can trade in a matter of minutes. I use one for extended hunts like Alaska sheep or other backpack hunts packing out elk sized game plus capes, etc. I also use it for turkey hunting for hauling decoys plus a tom or 2 out! The padded belt, shoulder straps and padding on the back are pretty tough to beat with Kifaru. Also they design pack frames for your particular body frame....with gobs of adjustments.

The top packs available tend to be Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I picked Kifaru because it had more accessory and bag options plus it is camo. If you want the best I would highly recommend either of those 2 brands. Some Alaska guys tend to like Barney's which would also be an option. The thing I didn't like about Mystery Ranch is the darn weight of the pack plus frame. Kuiu just wasn't designed for 100+ lb loads.

If you are tight on $ I would recommend finding a nearly new Kifaru frame/bags/accessories on Rokslide, craigslist, marketplace, etc. I bought to nearly new frames and bags for about 1/2 price.

I'm a wildland firefighter and we all use Mystery Ranch. I have three of their packs not including my fire pack and love them. My hunting pack is awesome but the model is discontinued now. Beartooth and metcalf seem pretty good I'd buy one if I needed another pack.

If I wasn't planning on using a pack every year and I was just getting a budget pack for one hunt, I would go with an Alps pack. If I planned on keeping it and using frequently, I would go with Mystery Ranch