Looking for a thread: Fire Forming W/O Cow, Just Powder & Tissue

I thought I had flagged this thread but I didn't. I have tried different types of searches but can not locate it.

The topic was fire forming brass without adding COW, just using pistol powder and tissue pressed in the case.

Anyone remember this thread.
Thanks
I fireformed .300 and .338 Winmag into .458 Winmag with pistol powder, toilet paper, COW and wax for a seal. Only lost a couple of cases out of 40 or so. I annealed first as well. Indoor range floor was a mess but I asked first!

Last edited:
Found my notes.
Fireformed initially with 25grs of Bullseye and tissue paper (no filler). Removed ejector so brass stayed against bolt face. Held rifle up at an angle to keep powder at base. Did initial forming for going from 270 to 338 Sherman. Lost 5 pcs of brass out of 100. Mostly split necks.

Then did moderate forming charge of rifle powder and bullet for final forming.

No cleanup or forming false shoulder.

Loud, but worked pretty good. Use less Bullseye for smaller case.

Found my notes.
Fireformed initially with 25grs of Bullseye and tissue paper (no filler). Removed ejector so brass stayed against bolt face. Held rifle up at an angle to keep powder at base. Did initial forming for going from 270 to 338 Sherman. Lost 5 pcs of brass out of 100. Mostly split necks.

Then did moderate forming charge of rifle powder and bullet for final forming.

No cleanup or forming false shoulder.

Loud, but worked pretty good. Use less Bullseye for smaller case.
That's a lot of powder! ….but no filler.

I wonder why the necks split. I didn't lose any and form was 98% or better in my estimate.

I'll bet your barrel is easier to clean!

That's a lot of powder! ….but no filler.

I wonder why the necks split. I didn't lose any and form was 98% or better in my estimate.

I'll bet your barrel is easier to clean!
Well, i was experimenting to see how it would work. I went well above that charge (no filler). I also got good initial case forming with no bullet. Finished up with moderate loads and bullets for final forming. Brass was RWS 270. I moved it a Bunch - to .338. Maybe RWS is a bit stiffer? Don't know. Never used it before.

Well, i was experimenting to see how it would work. I went well above that charge (no filler). I also got good initial case forming with no bullet. Finished up with moderate loads and bullets for final forming. Brass was RWS 270. I moved it a Bunch - to .338. Maybe RWS is a bit stiffer? Don't know. Never used it before.
Interesting. I moved my 300….270 win to 338 neck, back to 300 with false shoulder, then blew it out by COW. 100% case ok, but odd dimple shapes in some brass that should blow out like lube dents….but all over. Shoulder, sidewalls…