Long Range Hunting Optic opinions

Truk505

I have recently been in search of a Hunting scope capable of long range work. This is for mainly hunting and plinking, not competition. A few I've looked at are Zeiss V6 3-18x50, Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50, Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50, Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50, Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44, Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44. Of these scopes I'm thinking the Swarovski X5i is the best all round long range hunting optic, just based off of specs and what limited expirience I've had with them in the shops.

Does anyone with real world expirience with any or all of these scopes have a specific preference out of these scopes?

I'm guessing someone on this forum must have expirience with two or more of these scopes?

I have recently been in search of a Hunting scope capable of long range work. This is for mainly hunting and plinking, not competition. A few I've looked at are Zeiss V6 3-18x50, Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50, Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50, Swarovski X5i 3.5-18x50, Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44, Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44. Of these scopes I'm thinking the Swarovski X5i is the best all round long range hunting optic, just based off of specs and what limited expirience I've had with them in the shops.

Does anyone with real world expirience with any or all of these scopes have a specific preference out of these scopes?
I have a Swarovski Z6 and an ATACR as well as 2 VX6 HD's. I really like the new Leupolds and they are lighter weight for a hunting rifle. The Nightforce is probably more durable but I would look at the Leupold Mark5HD. They now come with MOA reticles and the glass is outstanding.

I have the ATACR 4-16x42 F1 and just picked up the new ATACR 4-16x50 F1 and they are amazing scopes. they are a little heavier than some of the other options but i can deal with the weight to know that they track perfectly and are as durable as you can find. I had the Mark5 3-18 and really liked it but they only offered Mil at the time and I am a MOA guy so ended up selling it. I looked at the X5i a couple times but wanted a FFP scope and unfortunately they don't offer that. The Z6 is a great hunting scope but I am not a big fan of the reticle options if you are wanting to Target shoot with the scope as well

The Leupold VX5 HD is very impressive. Optics are great and it tracks well. Have not used any of the others. I also have a Leupold LRP. Again, it tracks well and couldn't be happier with what I paid for it.

The biggest thing I noticed between the Swaro X5i and the Nightforce ATACR was the eye box, finding the crosshairs on the Swarovski was so much easier. Having owned a Leupold VX6HD and having to send it back in because there was a flake on the lens inside the tube, and reading about problems with tracking has me leaning more towards the Swarovski.

I can see how ffp could be useful for competition shooters, but as a hunter who will very rarely shoot past 600yds on game, my hold for windage isn't really that big of an issue. Having crosshairs I can see under all magnifications and conditions is more important.

The biggest thing I noticed between the Swaro X5i and the Nightforce ATACR was the eye box, finding the crosshairs on the Swarovski was so much easier. Having owned a Leupold VX6HD and having to send it back in because there was a flake on the lens inside the tube, and reading about problems with tracking has me leaning more towards the Swarovski.

I can see how ffp could be useful for competition shooters, but as a hunter who will very rarely shoot past 600yds on game, my hold for windage isn't really that big of an issue. Having crosshairs I can see under all magnifications and conditions is more important.

The eye relief on the Swaro X5i is 3.74" where the ATACR is around 3.5" so the Swaro may be a little better but I couldn't tell much difference and have had no issues with it so far, hunting or target shooting. It's all dependent on your eye and Id go with whatever is best fit for you. I target shoot and hunt so the ATACR was a better fit for me and the turrets are much nicer on the NF and again the reputation and durability of NF won me over. that and got a really good deal on both ($1,850 for the 4-16x42 F1 and $2,050 for the 4-16x50 F1) so when I compared pricing I couldn't justify the added cost for the Swarovski X5i over the ATACR's

Good luck with the search

The eye relief on the Swaro X5i is 3.74" where the ATACR is around 3.5" so the Swaro may be a little better but I couldn't tell much difference and have had no issues with it so far, hunting or target shooting. It's all dependent on your eye and Id go with whatever is best fit for you. I target shoot and hunt so the ATACR was a better fit for me and the turrets are much nicer on the NF and again the reputation and durability of NF won me over. that and got a really good deal on both ($1,850 for the 4-16x42 F1 and $2,050 for the 4-16x50 F1) so when I compared pricing I couldn't justify the added cost for the Swarovski X5i over the ATACR's

Good luck with the search

I know on paper the eye relief is only 1/4" different, but in real life it seemed a lot more, and I looked through both the 5-25x56 and the 4-16x42 at the same time.

There is no doubt about the dependability of the Nightforce, and before I walked into the shop I had my mind set on the ATACR. Being that this will be mainly a Hunting scope and secondly a target (for recreation purposes), the wide field of view and fast focus with the X5i was an important feature for sure.

I'm not rough on my gear and don't do any horseback mountain hunts so a regular duty scope is fine for what I'm after.

I know on paper the eye relief is only 1/4" different, but in real life it seemed a lot more, and I looked through both the 5-25x56 and the 4-16x42 at the same time.

There is no doubt about the dependability of the Nightforce, and before I walked into the shop I had my mind set on the ATACR. Being that this will be mainly a Hunting scope and secondly a target (for recreation purposes), the wide field of view and fast focus with the X5i was an important feature for sure.

I'm not rough on my gear and don't do any horseback mountain hunts so a regular duty scope is fine for what I'm after.

Well it sounds like you have made your mind up on what you want then. They are all great options again have to go with what you personally like best

If you're comfy with a SFP scope the x5 is going to do you well. Swaro glass is just phenomenal.

I haven't been able to check out the Leupold MK5 in person, only on the internet, I'm wondering how it compares to the X5i?

I have a X5 and it's phenomenal. Opted to not get illumination as I do not have a use for it and the placement of it seemed off to me (or I should say, a 'weird' location in case you had a top ring bubble level or wanted to look at your dope while on target). To be honest, I am not sure if that is even a real concern..but it was for me, for some dumb reason

I have only used the vx5hd out of all the scopes in your line up. if I had the money a swaro x5 would be on all of my hunting rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.